Moth on Foils: 35.9 knots(41.29 mph)

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Apr 11, 2006.

1. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

2. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

sorry, only the hull skin is 1 sheet.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils--Trash Talkin/ Worlds Fever

From Mr. Veals blog:
    " I can only hope our new 5th gear and the 10% top speed improvement on top of the other 10% I had on the 10% deficiency last Christmas is 20% faster than the top 10% of the fleet over 100% of the races at the Worlds. So what the hell does that mean? Who knows? But if I am right, the BR team are going to hand out a serious case of woop-arse(Hows that for some serious trash talk)"
    -------------
    Hmmmm.....

4. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

It means this... Stay away from plastic bags in the water in decisive heats with Simon and Rohan just might pull it off. It would kinda suck to lose, once again, because of miscellaneous crap in the water.

There aren't any injuries on which to blame the possible loss this year, are there?

Then... one has to consider that Simon will have his own secret can of whoop-*** to adminster to any and all who wish to dethrone the King. Not a light-weight dude at all.

Should be interesting, in a passing sort of way, for this obscure class of boats.

5. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Obscure? - Yep!

Good summary Chris, interesting series for a miniscule sample of the sailing world. You have to also realize that the "Sailing World" is also a minuscule sample of the total human population involved in participating in active sports.
    In other words, what is the square root of miniscule? I don't know, but it has to be a small number, something like the permanent population of Antartica.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils--!

What a pathetic couple of comments from Frosh and Ostlind!
    Check out this press coverage-pretty fantastic! Better than I thought thats for sure.
    Address:http://www.rohanveal.com/press.html
    --------
    But that's only part of it -the Moth foiler has introduced a technology that was unheard of in sailing before 1999-flying on just two foils. I14's,Aussie 18's(two as of now!), RS 600's,the M4 and soon to be others have experimented with this technology and continue its refinement. It is one of the major developments in the history
    of sailboat design and one that has applications
    from dinghy's to sportboats to maxi keel boats and even to multihulls. The Moth foiler in foiling conditions is close to being the fastest dinghy under 20' having paced a Tornado, beaten a fleet of F18's, a fleet of A Class Cats, I14's(non foil) 49ers and many others. The guys developing the RS 600 foiler believe that they may be eventualy faster than a Moth. And wait to see what a "dedicated"(designed from scratch as a foiler) 18 footer will do. Foiling and the techniques developed to foil -particularly upwind-have added speed to small monohulls that once would have been thought impossible.
    Obscure-hell no! Revolutionary development on the leading edge of sailing technology is more like it.....

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

8. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Copied below is a report (by Paul Brotherton) from recent Moth Open at Hayling Island, UK. Interesting observations on performance, and laying down the gauntlet to Rohan Veal in the final paragraph! Paul Brotherton is one of the UK's most successful sailors, having competed at the top of 470 and 49er fleets, including the Olympics, but I think he is new to Moths.

"The carbon rich Moth fleet dipped their wings into Hayling Bay on the 9th and 10th of June, the last UK event before the Worlds in Garda at the end of the month.

The Moth is close to reaching a critical mass of activity. The technology is highly sophisticated and yet gloriously simple to use. The boats are light and built with exotic materials but are robust and hard wearing. Foiling is accessible and turns a seemingly gentle day into a rip roaring, searing adventure that leaves observers wide-eyed and envious.

Saturday brought flat water and 10 to 14 knots of wind; foiling heaven, speed is easily achieved and the manoeuvres are predictable. Ideal conditions saw the full fleet foil and finish in the three races set by the Hayling Race Management Team led by Mark Woods.

At the end of racing Paul Brotherton led, courtesy of Jason Belben sailing the incorrect course in race two and Simon Payne unable to start the last race with a ripped trampoline. (Evidence of enjoying his sailing way too much and wearing out his tramp with his boney bum!)

Sunday’s earlier start and clearer skies increased the challenge, with an ebb tide and a stronger sea breeze the sea chopped up nicely. The “new to foils” sailors, copped more than the odd face full of whatever they got thrown into. As the boat skips lightly through the first few waves the serenity is matched by the violence of the boat dropping vertically as the foils clear the next wave and the boat crashes down. Nose-dives, cartwheels, somersaults and other gymnastic manoeuvres peppered the course, great action.

Belben, Payne and the youthful Sam Pascoe gave a display into what was possible, with some expert steering and rapid body movement they stayed foiling and crucially kept the foils in the water and the boat in control.

Overall Results:

1st Simon Payne
    2nd Jason Belben
    3rd Paul Brotherton

Simon Payne and Jason Belben both look strong going into the Worlds. The main challenge is likely to come from the Austrailian, Rohan Veal. His high profile and lofty PR campaign will need to be backed up by a clear victory in Italy. His list of excuses as to how he lost the Worlds in Denmark and his clear public conviction to the reasons why he will win this year leave no room for any error this year."

9. Chris Ostlind

Nice, Doug. I go away for a week on a surfing trip and I return to this kind of renewed nonsense from you. My comments are placed objectively into the discussion regarding the topic with no animosity and you decided that you need to generate a personally directed comment in response... Is it any wonder that you have had your face chewed off in past developments of this kind? It's been civil around here for months and now you start this...?

What is it about you, Doug, that makes for such an ill-tempered individual who has to resort to personal commentary? Did you get knocked around by the smart athletes when you were a young dude in the locker room? These questions are especially poignant because of your extreme inability to deal with personal attacks directed towards you in response.

The comments about Veal's last World's are appropriate and tied to facts that are well in evidence. There's no disputing that part of the commentary. Rohan biffed his chances due to a plastic bag on the foils. I won't get into the business of Veal's whining, after the fact, about some "nasty" injury. That was nicely covered by PI in his most recent post.

Is it the Interent that gives you the power you sought in your youth? Did you have a bad day with the model building and now you need to haul out the accumulated mental discord?

If you want to disguise this sort of posturing as simple opinion, then the real question is: Can you handle what will be slammed back in your face? If that prospect sounds distasteful, then get a new tune going through your noggin.

I don't mind at all if you toss a soft barb in my direction once in awhile, I'm used to being ribbed by some pretty smart folks. It's the ill-advised use of the words, Doug.

Keep it civil, Doug. Say you are sorry for getting into the weeds. You'll have a much better run here if you do.

Chris

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils / Crocodile Tears

Ostlind-you make deliberately inflamatory and ill-informed comments about the boat that is the subject of one of the most read threads on this forum and you object to the description of such a comment as PATHETIC? Have Mercy!!!

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils--- News

From Rohan's website:
    www.rohanveal.com:
    1) Rohan "answers" Paul Brotherton.
    2) says he is(was)"smokin more than a Hippie at Woodstock " after a change of foils
    3) says Bladerider 'hype' must be working since they're getting 3 orders a week...
    4) James Spithill(Luna Rosa) has ordered a Bladerider X8..
    ------------------
    Rohan Veal getting ticket for going three times the posted speed in the harbor in Oslo, Norway:

[​IMG]

12. Chris Ostlind

Douglas, my dear boy, you are foaming.

For the benefit of anyone who didn't take the trouble to read last year's reports from the Mothie Worlds in Denmark, get it here:
    http://www.int-moth.org.uk/ResultsWorlds06SP.htm and here:
    http://www.horsens-sejlklub.dk/IMWC2006/ and maybe even on Rohan's own site (if he hasn't scrubbed it off, already)

The summation... In the middle of, what turned-out to be the last racing day, Simon Payne and Veal were tied for the lead after seven races. Racing the following day was eventually cancelled, ending the event and freezing the standings from the previous day.

Race number 8 saw Simon jet away from the line on foils, smoking the competitors behind him. From the race report: "Race 8: started in only about 6/7 knots of breeze, and it was Payne who managed to get foiling off the start line to lead round the windward mark by quite a margin from Sven Kloppenburg from Germany, and Robinson..."

Decisively, here's the last sentence from that day's report: Payne won by 17 minutes as everyone else drifted home. May finished second, from Belben, Robinson and Veal."

What? Veal in fifth? after being tied at the end of the 7th race? Well, it turns-out that Veal's fifth was for a reason. He got a plastic bag wrapped around his foils, had to get off the boat, turn it over and toss the bag. Of course, the other guys did not wait around for him, and he lagged the pack all around the course until the race was done.

This, bag on the foils, issue cost him the Championship, outright. Not an Issue, Doug? Yeah, right! A guy goes from in the race to completely out of it, because of a bag on his foils and it's not an issue. In fact, it's ill-informed and inflammatory.

Nothing about that report in my previous letter was imflammatory, or as the Master Lord would have you believe, ill-informed. Just simple truth.

Did Veal whine about his sore knee after the event. Well, one could easily say that was what was being offered-up when he made mention of the knee over and over in his own race reporting on the Veal site. Not only after the event, but all through it as well. Kinda lame, really, to be a paid jock and sit there giving yourself a way out through the whole thing, just in case of a bad performance.

May take is this: Pro athletes get to suit-up and get with the program, or they get to opt-out and say the injury was just too much to deal with. When you are getting paid, you don't get to whine about the injury while you gimp around pretending you are getting the job done, you simply go out and do the job for which you are paid. Veal whined as if he could manage a sympathy vote for his effort, before and after the fact.

That observation is also not inflammatory, Doug. It's simple truth in the world of professional sports. Take a look at all the guys and gals who compete with less than perfect body situations and see how they handle themselves in victory and defeat. Now, tell me who you find to be exhibiting the most character as athletes... the whiners?... or the studs?

Get off the boat if it hurts that bad, collect yourself for a run next time and wish the other guys well in their pursuit. Don't qualify your effort on the backside of things by whining about a sore anything. Just get on with it, or shut the H--L up.

I don't expect you to understand that kind of take, Doug, as you don't have the appearance of a guy who was ever able to compete in any type of athletic event, much less take it to the next level... injured, or not. Perhaps that's why you get so foamy. You're a guy who sits around and not a guy who does things.

This isn't the same thing as racing model boats while you sit in your lawn chair on the grassy knoll, mouth hanging open, bag of Cheeto's between your knees and a Big Gulp in the cup holder. Actually, that vision kinda makes me whince. Yuck!

Chris

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils -Just the Facts,please!

Ostlind, it is quite obvious to many that you have an anti foil bias and I think I aptly described your comment about the Moth Class being obscure in my previous post(it was a pathetic comment).
    But you go on to make my case about your ill-informed comments in which you try to say that Rohan Veal lost the 2006 Worlds because of a plastic bag caught on his foils. Complete utter rubbish!
    Contrary to what you wrote the facts show that the bag was caught on Veals foils in Race 2 and that by the end of Race 6 Veal had a 1 point lead for the World Championship! Let me repeat that: despite having gotten bag caught on his foils in Race 2 Veal was the leader in Race 6!! You have a "trash on foils" agenda(literally and figuratively) and your agenda trumps the truth in this case-a shameful, unfortunate and unwarranted attempt at re-writing history.
    Read it here:
    Address:http://www.rohanveal.com/2006_blog_archive.html
    --------------
    Discovered this(again) while doing research. In his blog in the last day or so Rohan has said that he is close to perfecting an upwind tack ON FOILS
    -here is what he did last year in a valiant attempt to save the Championship-
    from the UK Moth site about the 2006 Worlds:
    Rohan windward Gybe
    Amazing technique: Race eight was a nightmare for Rohan as he was powerless to prevent his title from slipping away. It was the lightest breeze of the championship and many felt should not have been sailed at all. I disagree, because it was precisley the lightness of the breeze that demonstrated the amazing skill of the top few to get foiling in maybe just five or six knots. Up the first beat, Si foiled over Rohan who was struggling to foil. As he lifted clear Rohan knew a tack would dump him back to earth. Here he pulled off a stunning upwind gybe, spinning his boat on a sixpence and staying airborne upwind. In the end it didn't give him the advantage, but it's a sight I shall never forget and probably never emulate!

14. foilr

foilr Yes I've sailed one.

When are you starting a blog of your own Doug?

15. Grant. W.

Grant. W. Junior Member

I don't think that Chris has an anti foil bias doug.

If you said the sky was blue i'd think Chris would tell you it was brown.

I think it may be you doug.

I agree foilr, start a blog doug.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.