mold with slightly negative draft

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by sunbelt57, Oct 5, 2011.

1. sunbelt57

sunbelt57 Junior Member

I have a part I wish to duplicate which has a slightly negative draft. What I'm thinking about doing is making the mold flexible enough to pop off the part and then building a wood frame out of 2x2 that conforms to the shape of the mold that I can remove when I pop the mold off but then install back on the mold when creating the part to insure the mold retains its shape. Anyone ever tried this? I'd have to custom cut and fit each piece of the frame with a jigsaw so it fits the side of the mold (opposite of the part side). On the other hand, it may be easier to have the mold in 2 parts joined together with a flange and lined up with bolts. I was thinking of using this method anyway regardless of negative draft just to help the mold retain shape for large parts to save on material used in the mold.

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

mould with Draw are always hard to get out and over time will progressivly get tighter as time goes by so jutst make a 2 piece mould yes with a removable end maybe so the part can be side out when it is released Its possible to use compressed air to release and pop a negitive moulding but not easy and not safe !!!. :(