MODULAR DOCK needed ASAP ! ! !

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by JamesG, Jan 25, 2010.

1. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

I called some of those places but non of them had the plastic modular barges for sale or rent. darn

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Why modular? Why plastic?

Why not just a barge towed in place?

3. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

Modular because I can keep making bigger as time goes on and its affordable. Also because I want it to have an oval shape overall. It doesn't have to be plastic, but the modular barges that will let me do these two things happen to be plastic. Some brands are Jetfloat, Vaersadock, Jetdock, Magicfloat.

As for towing it in place, well I guess that's ok too, but the true goal is mobility. I want this to be able to carry passengers as well stay in place. It will be for concerts and parties.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Your intention was clear for me, that was not the question.;)

There are several hundreds of such party barges around all over Europe. Some even have a real sand beach.

But the easiest, cheapest and most stable is just such a working platform barge.

Of course the shape is´nt to choose, they come as they are.

Regards
    Richard

5. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

I guess I'm just attached to the idea of it being flexible and relatively lightweight. All those metal barges look like more of a hassle to me because of storing them and the associated machinery. These plastic docks are more on a human scale that I can deal with. The idea for this all started after leaning about Spiral Island. Using a traditional metal barge would be more like Plan B for me.

Actually, Plan B might be just to build it out of plastic bottles and try to avoid getting ticketed. I figured I have more of a chance getting a plastic modular dock approved then I do getting a plastic bottle island approved.

ADDED 5 minutes later: Sometimes i wonder if Plan A should be to build it out of plastic bottles and just wing it.

-james

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hmm,

plastic bottles.

...and 200 people dancing, jumping and making fete on it?

Storing a commercial barge will be a task, yes, I agree. The common practice is to leave them in the water. That is the easiest too, I guess.

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

:idea: Just put them all in lifejackets, tie them together and tow them around in a lump. The band or dj could then just be on a small boat, you could shoot drinks and food to the people with air cannons. There would be no restroom facilities needed then either. If they needed shade, just throw a tarp over them. :idea:

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

JamesG: check with the USCG before you end up in jail

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

And with the relevant Mexican authorities...

10. kim s

kim s Junior Member

Could do what I did last midsummer and Put my band on the top deck of a 60 ft boat and got every one to anchor round us.
    BBQ on the beach in the afternoon and then we started playing as the sun went down, had to stop at 23.00 as the tide was turning and the boat would have swung, leaving us to play to an empty river:confused:
    We did not think about mooring for and aft, next time we will ,and will play till the deisel runs out in the genny:D :D

Kim

11. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

Wow that's really cool! I'm glad to hear that you guys actually had a concert on the water. I hope to do that too. Maybe you can come play here in the USA once I get this things built.

12. kim s

kim s Junior Member

Next year we have 3 bands lined up to play and an old lighter barge that is being converted to a house boat. But before they take the lid off, we can nab it and tow it up the river.
    We play anchored off an island that is used a drugs re-hab center. so we are learning all the classics---hotel calafornia---Pink floyd -comfortably numb----sex, drugs rock and roll, I will shut up as so far off topic:eek:
    Hope you do get something sorted as its a great experience as far as playing on the water is concerned

I would love to play over there so I could have the airport stickers on the flight case but I dont think we are good enough.
    Mind you i I get my boat finished, then what an excuse to sail across the ditch:idea: :idea:

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

I thought you wanted to go to Cabo ? Maybe easier and cheaper to find a barge in Mexico? (not the modular toys of course)

14. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

Yeah, Cabo is the first place that I'm going to for Spring Break, then to San Diego, CA then to other cities in the USA.

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

Good luck!

I hope you know about the cost to transport you barge over such distances!?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.