Modernize Old Boat Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by LSteamGeo, Nov 5, 2020.

1. LSteamGeo

LSteamGeo Junior Member

Hello,
    I have just purchased an old Jouandoudet GUPPY 560 french boat.
    I needed a boat that respected dimensions to fit with my berth.
    This GUPPY 560 is perfect for my use.
    However, I would like to modernize it by giving it a more modern design.
    I would like to have your opinion to modernize it, the front of the GUPPY 560 is really the part that I don't like.
    Here are some images of the GUPPY 560 and a image that I found on BoatDesign to give you an idea of a modern design that I would like to go for.
    (sorry for my bad English)

JOUANDOUDET GUPPY 560
    5.60m x 2.20m x 0.30m

Thank you for your ideas.
    Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Attached Files:

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

What do you want to modify, the appearance, or some structural part ?

3. LSteamGeo

LSteamGeo Junior Member

Hello,
    I would like to change the appearance by modifying the cabin (structural parts of the cabin). I wouldn't want to change the hull but the whole cabin can be changed (from the deck to the roof).
    The adaption will be build with plywood/epoxy.
    If possible, I will want to use the existing parts as much as possible to add / modify new parts that will rejuvenate the boat (modification of curves, differents openings for windows, ...).
    Thank you,
    Jeffrey

4. Mr Efficiency

Welcome Jeffrey, that sounds more like appearance, I was wondering whether you wanted to turn it into a bowrider or some such, you might actually be able to modernize the look of it with clever use of paint, and masking tape. You might be able to experiment that with pictures of the boat on your computer, with a program like Microsoft "Paint".

5. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Hi Jeffrey,

I agree with Mr E, you can easily transform that boat with some paint and styling stripes.
    Re your last photo of the boat with the blue hull - she has a more exaggerated sheer line, but I don't think that her superstructure looks much better than your boat.

If you are not keen on doing graphics on the computer (like me), you could print some photos of the boat (eg from the side and front), and then add some styling colours and stripes to the photos, and see what they look like.
    You could also try 'painting' the hull blue on paper.

Your cabin appears to be just as effective (re size and shape) as the more modern boat.
    And if you are not pleased with how your boat looks, bear in mind that when you are on board you do not see her from a distance - so you can let everybody else admire her.

It will cost you a lot of time, effort and money to cut all the superstructure off and build a new one.
    I would suggest do just the basic minimum required to get her on the water, and start to enjoy using her.
    (Although I appreciate that winter is looming with a vengeance now, but maybe not so bad if you are in the south of France?)

BlueBell likes this.
  6. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I will agree that the Guppy’s windows do look awkward.
    Some clever paint design would help, and possibly eliminate the lower windshield.
    Removing/rebuilding the cabin is a bit extreme, would probably not be cost effective .

7. Mr Efficiency

He could tint the windows cheaply enough, which would give a more modern look, and enhance the paintwork if cleverly combined. The obvious problem with a half-cabin that is boxy and high, all the same colour, is that it compresses the length, you need to layer it, to stretch it out.

8. LSteamGeo

LSteamGeo Junior Member

Hi,
    Mr Efficiency,
    Banjansailor,
    KapnD,

Thank you for your very helpful messages and advice.
    Looking at the various GUPPY 560s on the internet, I found one that was painted in three colors and it made the boat much more modern. Black bands made the windows "disappear" but the rest of the colors were not very pretty.
    I have to repaint my boat entirely, I will try to find color combinations that will make the boat more modern. If you have any ideas, I'm interested because I'm really not an artist ...
    I need to replace all windows that are all cracked. I will adapt tinted windows so that they are flush. It does not require too much work and the rendering is nice.
    Thank you very very much !
    Jeffrey

9. LSteamGeo

LSteamGeo Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    I have just edited the boat with new parts.
    What do you think ? If you have any suggestions please do not hesitate.
    Thank you very much,
    Jeffrey

Attached Files:

10. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

Not to seem harsh, but the longer I look at the proposed mod, the more it looks like someone stuck the front half of a pickup truck on top of a boat hull. And for aesthetics, there's something to be said for the upper and lower windows using a repeating shape. Do round the corners, though.

I think those tiny windows will make the lower cabin an awfully dark place to be. Do you intend to use dark tinted glass?

Other than reshaping the front of the lower cabin, I think a lot of that mod can be done just with paint, but I'm probably wrong. And speaking of paint, I can't help wishing there were a band of dark (maybe bright, but still dark) color below the gunnels, something to visually accent the sheer line.

11. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Hi

12. LSteamGeo

LSteamGeo Junior Member

Hi,
    You have absolutely right about the front of the truck... it's not really pretty...
    I have attached the picture of the boat, if you have a little time, can you give me a proposal for painting, windows and some structural upadate if necessary.
    Thanks for your help.
    Jeffrey

Attached Files:

13. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

I'll let someone else have a go at that. I have absolutely zero graphics skills.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.