Minimum slamming pressure on flat cross structures (DNV-GL)

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by Roni, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Roni

Roni Junior Member

Hi there,

I'm working out scantlings for a 10 m catamaran in accordance to the 2018 DNVGL rules for HSLC (high speed light craft). For flat cross strucutres (the bridgedeck) there is a minimun pressure required on DNVGL-RU-HSLC Pt.3 Ch.1 pg 27 as follows:

upload_2020-8-5_17-42-6.png

That is a quite high minimun pressure. I've checked some other rules: the 2015 DNV, 2002 GL, 2002 BV and 2020 Lloyd's. None require to apply such a high minimun pressure. I was just wandering why such a disparity between the rules

Thanks

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Roni

You're only looking at half the picture.
    Each Class society has its own method of arriving at pressures for scantlings. If you compare just those pressures, you'll find discrepancies...
    But once you design your structure to satisfy the pressure and minimum requirements, you will discover that the final scantling you use, is pretty much the same which ever Class society you use.... except for BV.

Thus do not focus on the absolute pressures... you need to compare the actual structure using each Class rule.

bajansailor likes this.
  3. Alik

Alik Senior Member

DNV-GL HSLC 2018 rules are not suitable for small craft such as 10m catamaran, the design accelerations and pressures are too high. Advice: find GL HSC rules 2012, this is the most reasonable method for small craft, especially in composite.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.