Mini OB Boat conversion to Mini Jet Boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by LilWake, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Ok all good and fine
    I did clean up my browser
    and
    signed up for a Imageshack account
    so not sure what did the trick but the good news is all the pics are there

thanks guys

2. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

Last night we added approximately 6 cu ft of 2# Flotation Foam to the top half of the hull. Before pouring the foam we rolled cardboard into a half tube shape and placed them to create a channel for our wiring and cables. Not sure yet how it worked. I think some foam may have found its way into the channel.
    [​IMG]

We didn't have a chance to take many photos of the pouring process, but we basically mixed 16 oz of foam (8 oz part A / 8 oz Part B) at a time and poured small batches until the designated areas were filled.
    [​IMG]

You want to pour it in small amounts because the stuff expands rapidly and if there's too much in tight areas is can put pressure on walls and possibly even cause cracking. It also can overflow your areas and become a real mess. Let's just say we weren't pros at this. I did get some small runs through areas, and cleaning it up wasn't the easiest. Luckily my issues were minor and the problem areas will be concealed behind the windshield and other parts.:eek:

Here you can see us using a sawsall to shape the foam. We filled it higher on purpose so we could shave it down to a nice even shape. We didn't want to see any foam hanging down when we put the top back on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see our foam job before shaping, and during the shaping process on the right side.
    [​IMG]

After we used the sawsall to trim it all, we used my orbital sander to really smooth things out to a nice shape.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I forgot to take one of the foam job completed, but it turned out VERY nice other than the couple minor spills that didn't clean up as good as I had hoped. Maybe people will believe me now when I tell them I did the project myself. :rolleyes:

3. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

Glad you got her fixed Manie! Didn't want anyone to miss the boat getting wet for the first time after following all my months worth of progress, haha.

4. DrSkull

DrSkull New Member

If you had taken pics

They probably would have you believed you if you had taken a few pictures of the job....;)
    Looks good. I hated using that foam cause as you prolly now know it sticks to everything, skin especially. We refrained from using it in low areas that might be subject to saturation from water, such as under floor areas. Under the gunwhale is fine since the water won't hang there. It is a popular material in boats but over time it does soak up water. If you need any floatation under floor boards or the like we used a foam called ethafoam. It is the stuff commonly used as packing for the corners of electronic items (at the corners) in shipping boxes. It is white and a "closed cell" construction so it will not absorb water at all. Careful not to confuse it with basic styrofoam as it isn't that. It has a sort of greasy feel to it and is flexible, it won't break when bent. It comes in rolls, sheets and blocks so you cut it to shape with a bread knife. Cram it in spots then mechanically bond it as in floor boards on top holding it in place. I rarely buy it as I just keep all of it I get at work from pachaging. Do you have any idea on the weight of the boat as yet? Not including mechanicals.

5. DrSkull

DrSkull New Member

exhaust

Oh I forgot to ask. Early in your thread and your design renditions you showed the exhaust exiting the rear deck area. Is that going to allow for the coolant water to exit with the exhaust or are you redesigning that aspect. I was concerned it may want to pool in the lower portion of the elbow and cause the engine to suffocate.

6. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

I have no idea but if i had to guess maybe right under 400 lbs bare hull. This foam is closed cell. I was told it will not hold any water.

7. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

I just have to see this beauty get wet :D

as you know my building has been far more traditional and old school
    but about a zillion years ago I was your age and I love what you are doing

strange but I can only see the pics if I am logged in at Imageshack and the page is running - but not to worry I will get this sorted

most important I can see the pics - I am enjoying your work - go man go :)

8. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

I still plan to do the dual center exit exhaust tips and otgers have said this will be fine. I believe there are water exit nozzles/hoses to level out the water. I will ask this to the pro when hes helping me install the motor.

9. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

Glad you got it sorted out!!

I have seen and am familiar with your projects. Very cool work. I am very opposite of oldschool but have a great appreciation for where everything came from. A lot of old school techniques are still being used in boat design/building today because it's tried and true.

It's cool to see some of the old school boat builders here can appreciate my work. It gives me confidence that my boat might float! haha.

10. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Nice job on the foam. Man, that stuff is nasty.

11. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

Thanks tinhorn! It really is messy stuff. Things can turn bad quick if your not paying attention!

12. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

13. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

So my bro and I got a sh*t ton of work done today.

We started out by marking where we are going to tab the top and bottom together with fiberglass from the inside. After designating these areas we had to cut some gaps out of the foam we did to allow contact area for the glass.

Here you can see our finished foam job and the notches we cut out for the fiberglass tabs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we grinded the entire lip where they had originally glassed the top and bottom together. There was loose fiberglass edges that had to be removed. At the same time we also grinded the areas that we are going to tab the top and bottom together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we sanded the bilge / engine bay to knock down any high spots to get it ready for gel coat. It's not perfect, but it's a bilge...it doesn't have to be.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we used a dremel to cut slots for the fuel tank straps to go through.
    [​IMG]

There are three.
    [​IMG]

Then we gave it a good wash with dish soap.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we gave it acetone wipe down and masked it for gel coat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BOOM! Siren Red Bilge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know it looks like a lot of red right now but once I get the fuel tank, battery, engine, and all the electrical in I think it will be a nice pop of color.

What do you guys think?

14. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

Here are a few more photos.

The swim platform wont be fabbed until probably late winter, so this is how I am thinking about reinforcing the last holes of the ride plate that normally would have bolted to the tunnel of the ski. The black nylon dowels that you see are there to simulate where I will be putting chrome turnbuckles.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the style of turnbuckles I will be trying to purchase. Anyone know of a place?
    [​IMG]

And this gives a better ideas of how the bilge will look, minus the motor, battery, fuel tank, and electrical.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

What's with all of these threads about stupid peddle powered boats and sailboat 3d designs and they get a sh*t ton of knowledgeable input and scientific calculations for aero/hydro dynamics and expected speed calculations but when a person actually starts building an actual boat he gets little to no help or input?

When choosing this forum to post to I thought I would be getting a lot more insight from the experts such as "I might do this" or "have you thought about doing this instead" or "Doing this will give you better performance", etc. Isn't that what forums are for? To share ideas, knowledge, input, etc?

I guess I've kind of just winged it thus far, just using my own judgement. Might as well just throw her in the water and see if she floats. It's my first boat, no biggy if things don't work out.

Anyways, this forums dead, or at least my thread is (No offense to anyone who has shared a word or two in here) For those who want to continue to follow my build you can check it out on PWCtoday.com or PerformanceBoats.com