Mini - Motorboat “New Flamingo“

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Rabah, Mar 13, 2014.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Estimated Rabah, my comment in post # 12 refers to the loading conditions, well what you call "Test Loadcases" in your post # 11.Nothing that you tell us in this pdf file has nothing to do with the study of a load condition and even less with what ISO 12217 calls.
    My opinion is that adding weights and calculate its center of gravity, can not be called "load test case". Those are, nothing more, the input data for a study that is more complex, the loading condition, stability and compliance with the stability criteria applicable to the boat.
    Therefore, in my opinion, this pdf file says nothing, does not serve itself at all, and do not know what merits may it have to justify your interest in making it known to the big world.
    Scantlings is another aspect that I have not mentioned so far. I do not understand you want to wait for a customer to carry them out. There is a very important item for the boat, the weight of its hull, you should know from the earliest stages of the project and that it is impossible to calculate with rigor if you have not previously calculated scantlings. A mathematical and academic mind like yours should reconsidear your criteria is this.
    Another question, and forgive my curiosity, the GZ curve that appears in any of your post, why not go beyond 50 degrees?. And another one: do not you need to study the dynamic stability?.
    Thanks for your patience.

2. Rabah

Rabah Senior Member

Hello all,
    Right at the beginning when has decided to make the publication I arranged with great volume of calculations on Stability of this motor boat. But I have picked the most interesting outcomes to not vex readers of the forum.
    Now when has seen that reader's interest increases I can lift a little bit the curtain and publish 4 more files:
    1. Stability Report-Load case 1-Full Displacement with two passengers, D=354,451kg - Basic case
    2. Stability Report-Load case 5 - Skipper standing in the boat on SB, D=272,8kg - the most dangerous operational case
    3. Hydrostatic Report-Test Load case 2 - Offset Load test, D=341,151kg - most dangerous of test cases, is shown a case when the test loading is on the right side
    4. Stability Report - Test Load case 3 - Swamped Stability Preparatory test, position 1, D=469,868kg
    If closely to see the Stability curve we shall see that after the vanishing angle when GZ=0 it be no sense from continuation of charts more than 53 deg / Load case 1/.
    In ISO 12217-3 for boats with a length less 6m it is specified as to prove stability, buoyancy and unsinkability of the boat and there is not required account on the heeling moment from the wind and the heaving which is required in ISO 12217-1 for boats with a length above 6m.
    But the River Register of Russia from 2008 requires account of two charts - for statical and dynamical stability, and I was make this and was show in Fig 16 / in yellow color - statical stability, in green-dynamical/. There is a construction from which is shown also how the admissible righting arm 0,1207 m is received. It is necessary for account of the criterion of weather.
    I have certainly made also comparative tables with outcomes of accounts for all 7 cases of the operational loads and for all 8 cases of test loads. What is the meaning of the test load cases?
    Test Load case 1-Outboard boats when starting test
    Test Load case 2-Offset test
    Test Load cases 3-6-Preparatory swamped stability tests
    Test Load cases 7 and 8 - Preparatory Swamped Buoyancy tests
    At last it is necessary to say and some words about thickness of the shell plating and the deck.
    If from the Full weight 354,451 kg to deduct 274,983 kg that is the sum of passengers, outboard engine, gasoline and marine battery we shall receive the weight of the hull of our boat - 79,468 kg. If to compare to the Japanese mother there is the weight of the hull 58 kg. In the both cases the construction of the hull is without frame.
    As we do replacement of the motor 18hp with 25hp quite logically I overstate the weight of the plastic hull / especially in stern recess and transom/.
    Eventually it is a personal choice to that is responsible for the design. Whether so that has no any meaning about the beginning you will evaluate thickness on ISO and then Stability or you will accept thickness on mothers, make calculation of Stability and then you proved accounts that accepted thickness is sufficient if in the issue the documentation is accepted from ISO or from Classification organization.
    To me it is very curious this time what will write Mr Tansl. It became already very interesting to me, I hope also to all of you.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.