milky oil

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by crispy, Aug 13, 2006.

1. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

bilgboys on the sauce again,,,,,,,,god love him,,I had a old dodge truck ,,,,nothing was wrong with it ,but in the winter ,,when i had to add oil to it ,,the cap was always milky,,from condensation,,,,I hope this is you problem,,,it will cost less.does this happen when the engine is hot and been running for awhile?,,,,and also check it then ,,,,,longliner

2. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

LL, you nailed it. I have a nice glass of Brandy in front of me, and my muscles are aching from a full day of work. There are a mess of BS posts on this forum, and sometimes I just need to blow off some steam and hopefully get a chuckle from a member or two. Its nice to have a deep thought thrown in here and there as well...it rounds out the human experience.

God bless you, too.

Mike

3. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

good ta hear from ya again,,,longliner

4. crackerjack

crackerjack Junior Member

Just did a water pressure test isolating the engine block and head. Pressure of 17lb held for ½ hr. good news on that part. Going to check the exhaust manifold. Someone mentioned a flapper. Can that be a fault?...thanks

5. crackerjack

crackerjack Junior Member

Just solved my problem. Turns out it was the gasket between the water reservoir and the manifold. Changed the oil 5 times. Running the engine to 160 degrees before dropping the oil. It’s now clear. I will change it one more time before putting it into the water. Hope this experience helps someone else.

Joe

1 person likes this.
  6. jflongwell

jflongwell Junior Member

Milky engine oil

I had a boat with a 140HP Merc, laid up for the winter and forgot to pull the plug. Water filled up about 18" until I noticed it in the early spring. The oil was like molasses! I remembered what my father had done many years ago when we had a bad flood here and he had some construction equipment flooded. I drained the oil (took a week), pulled the plugs, squirted WD 40 into the cylinders and turned the engine over a few times. Then changed the filter and put new oil in. Got it started on the trailer, and warmed it up. Drained the oil, changed the filter and the boat ran fine for several seasons.

I presumed the water got into the engine via the rear engine seal. How far did the water get during the rain storm?

I have a 5.7L Volvo now and am having a problem with the crankcase filling with something! I noticed the problem last season when I drained 8 qts from the crankcase when I winterized it. I added about 5 qts in the spring. I just pulled 8 qts last week. Whatever is getting in is not making the oil turn milky, but maked it very thin. I am planning to check the manifold gasket this weekend. I will keep you posted.

7. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Oil Dilution???

This is a different problem than milky (water+oil).. It must be gas (is this a gas engine?). The only two ways I've seen that much oil dilution is a bad carburetor that ran very rough at idle, way too rich, and a bad Fuel Pump (The type that mounts on the engine block and is driven from the cam).. Such a fuel pump can get a diaphragm leak that leaks gas / diesel into the engine oil.

This is something you really need to figure out. You engine is not getting good lubrication!

8. jflongwell

jflongwell Junior Member

Thin oil

After a brief warm up, the engine idles just fine. I had not thought of gas (nor did any of my mates in the marina!). I will check out the fuel pump.
    Many thanks.

9. Blitzinger

Blitzinger New Member

Milky Oil Help

I have a 79 MercCruiser 140, bought from a car dealer who got it from an auction. I didnt see the blown soft plug, Im a car guy in Buffalo, but i didnt know i needed water to start the boat either, yekes, dont think i overheated though, no apparent sign like engine seazing up or getting unstable when i ran it without water for 2 min. anyway. I replaced the water pump, and what was left of the impeller learning my lession about boats and outdrives. Went out more than a few times before noticing the oil was getting milky, Water i said. But from where, I dont know where to start. Should i disamble the head, manifold to look for cracks in the block or head gaskest? I DO notice a Buggery like slug when i take off my oil cover by the valves. I flushed the engine 3 times with regular oil and its still there. The engine runs fine and its only been in fresh water all its life it looks like. When i lift the engine compartment open, milky oil splashes out a little around the loose PVC hose, from the valves back to the carb for exhaust i think. Need help with this one, any help.

Thanks, walleye season is comming quick.:(

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.