Micro liveabord cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Silvertooth, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Silvertooth

Silvertooth Senior Member

You can get these electric scooter wheel kits from China

They are very powerful and hard wearing, I suspect you could go quite fast, it as fast as the road scooters but certainly fast enough, but this would drain the battery in no time, a slow speed most of the time.

And two non powered wheels t the front to attach to the leeboards.

They all have to be small enough to stow down bellow when on the water

Attached Files:

2. Silvertooth

To buy the motor from something like this

Attached Files:

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

You cant drive the rear wheels only for amphibious craft.

When you get to shore, the bow will ground out while the stern wheels as still floating above the land and cant drive you up the hill.

This design works

AmphiCanoea.jpg

Silvertooth likes this.
  4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

sketches from post #53 and post #57
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Link
    [​IMG]

Link
    [​IMG]

In my opinion even the best only aft wheel steering things don't steer very well, and the place of your rudder and aft wheel pivot point far before the aft wheel, in the sketches, will make steering even worse I believe, as it won't give you a good trail -aka- caster, see also caster angle, note the two last links are about front wheel steering, which is easier to get right.

Best research this if want to know more about it, as for me it goes far beyond of what's explainable in a few forum posts.

Good luck !

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Silvertooth likes this.
  5. Angélique

photo from post #63
    [​IMG]

Don't think that will steer very well either, but I think it will be well controllable due to a better steering geometry, and a lower speed, as it's not land speeding powered by sails and electric motors

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Silvertooth likes this.
  6. RHP

RHP Senior Member

The British had a solution to this years ago....

[​IMG]

rwatson and Silvertooth like this.
  7. Silvertooth

My micro cruiser will be amphibious but you will have to physically pull her out of the water and fit the wheels on, and same for taking the wheels off and stowing them before pulling into the water

8. Silvertooth

Yes it's true things don't steer well from the stern on land, my cruiser will be 90% plus in the water and only short slow trips on land

9. Silvertooth

I just love the thought of being able to explore new islands, and pull the boat up the beach, then drive around the island. Even in bad weather, just sit in the cab and drive.

10. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Silvertooth likes this.
  11. Silvertooth

Here is the Gorfnik in action

12. Silvertooth

Thinking about a large super powerful cordless drill I have with multiple battery packs.

I could soon weld up a little propeller onto a long steel shaft and fit it into the chuck and do it up nice and tight with the chuck key.

Just a case of figuring out the best design, either have a hole in the stern for the drive shaft to go though as most boats do, or just figure out a way outside

Attached Files:

13. Silvertooth

Also could the drill be used for driving the rear wheel?

14. Angélique

The possibilities are endless when having a large super powerful cordless drill with multiple battery packs aboard, besides what you already named, power the anchor winch, hoist the sails, drive a fan when it's hot, power the onboard mini washer for your clothes, drive the bilge pump, drive the pump of the watermaker, drive the water pump for the galley and the shower, drive the toilet pump, use it as a friction welder when something breaks, still use it as a drill when needed, put a conversion set on it to use it as a sander for maintenance along the way, and also get a conversion set for shaving, power the vacuum cleaner, hoist the awnings, hoist the blinds, drive the deck wash pump, power the bow and stern thrusters, drive the airco pump, raise and lower the mast(s) (with the same unit which is also used for the anchor winch), hoist the center/dagger/lee boards, keep the radar turning, hoist the flags and ensigns, power the auto pilot, etc, etc..

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Dejay and Silvertooth like this.

15. Silvertooth

What brilliant ideas, thanks for those, I never even thought of any of those, fantastic ideas.

I was thinking about having a hole just above the water line on the stern transom with a Bung in it when not being used, to have the drive shaft with the prop coming through and rig up a nice fixing to place the drill in on an angle down. That will be my speed control, this drill I can fix the trigger at any speed, even so slow that you can see the prop turning which is ample for the size of craft. And use the helm rudder to steer as normal, rather than turning the prop.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.