Divide Hull with DRAPE

Discussion in 'Software' started by posceve, Mar 8, 2011.

1. posceve

posceve Junior Member

Hi, i need to do this job, project a surface on hull, to simulate fiberglass panel.

Then unfold intersection and smash to obtain a 2d shape, for cut a real piece of fabric to build a hull.

Rhinoceros have this command, it's named DRAPE, but it's approsimative.

Attached Files:

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

What are your starting with? Do you need to develop the Rhino model of the hull from lines or points?

If you have surfaces then Squish is a plug-in command for flattening surfaces which are not developable and therefore need to stretch or compress. The deformation option allows selection of the type of deformation from stretch only to compress only with steps in between as well as custom type of deformation. The material option allows either rigid or floppy; presumably fabric would be floppy. It appears to only work on single surfaces.
    You may need to download Squish and add it. More information and download here: http://wiki.mcneel.com/labs/advancedflattening

3. posceve

posceve Junior Member

Look at this pictures imagine that copper is hull, i start with X number of a sheets of fiberglass 1270 mm long X mm, project them one next others on the 3d hull model.
    I hold the hull of virtual sheets, cut surfaces in surplus, outside the perimeter of the hull, then unroll the surfaces generating a 2D cutting sheets!

http://db.tt/ggoiEtS

grazie in anticipo

http://db.tt/2Pow6Ps

4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Are the hull surfaces developable?

5. posceve

posceve Junior Member

It's split in 3 or 4 longitudinal Rhinoceros nurb surface. Hull is often fragmented

6. posceve

posceve Junior Member

look at this picture, explain better than my words!

Attached Files:

7. posceve

posceve Junior Member

Hi DCockey, your answer has disappeared from the forum...can u post it again?
    :p:idea:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.