Matlab and developable surfaces

Discussion in 'Software' started by mizzenman, Mar 19, 2007.

1. mizzenman

mizzenman Junior Member

Hi. Been lurking here for a year and I’m impressed at the huge knowledge this place attracts.

I’m designing a 6 x 1.3m hard chined hull using Matlab.

Has anyone any knowledge about how to use Matlab to verify the develop ability of the panels?

All the best:cool:

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

There is a mass of pre-written CAD software around. Unless you want to develop your own systems and routines I DO NOT advise matlab for design purposes.

Further to that, look at using C/C++ for development work. There are free development environments for Windows and Linux, as well as a free complier ( GNU C++ ).

Matlab, as I'm sure you're aware is very good for testing ideas. It's not really fast enough for many jobs, bearing in mind that the last benchmark I did with Matlab, took 50 times longer on a P4 (about 2GHz I think) than it did in BBC Basic on a Strong-ARM RISCPC.

Tim B.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.