Mathieu Equation

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by netjaws, Dec 1, 2005.

1. netjaws

netjaws Junior Member

Trying to investigate parametric roll, and don't actually need to SOLVE the Mathieu equation - just need to know whether the solution will be bounded or unbounded.

Any helps?

Joshua N Straume

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

3. netjaws

netjaws Junior Member

p and q?

Interestingly, that first article is what posed my question!

That is - how do we find whether the solution is bounded or unbounded, without actuallly solving it?

4. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Good question. I don't know.

5. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

I think Guillermo has put you on the right road - the Christian paper says the imaginary part of the solution's exponent has to be zero for a bounded solution, and the boundary curves shown on the Ince-Strutt diagram _are_ the conditions that separate the bounded from the unbounded solutions.

You might try looking for a Lyapunov function for the problem and finding the bounds on that. Zounes and Rand use the function L(phi) = p*phi and present a number of ways of finding the stability contours. Zhang and Li use the same Lyapunov function, too, so I suspect it's the way to go.

It looks like a really hairy problem!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.