Mast Splicing?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ClarkT, Jul 1, 2003.

1. ClarkT

ClarkT Senior Member

How effectively can a fractional rig mast that has broken at the jib hounds be spliced?

I know that a typical solution is to saw off the carnage, insert a sleeve, and thence to weld or epoxy and rivit. - This method creates a hard spot in the mast bend that would compromise sail performance.

It seems that a carbon topsection might be attached to the aluminum lower mast. The splice might be designed to maintain fair bending charactaristics, and the carbon topsection would lower CG.

Is this possible or cost effective?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Can you weld the pieces?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Please note, aluminum welds are not as strong as the original material, unlike steel welds. A sleeve would be required, and it should be fastened by making a pattern of holes in the mast parts, and welding in the holes only.

Tim Dunn

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That's the kind of weld I was refering to. If the sleeve has tapered ends it doesn't create as much of a hard spot.

5. ClarkT

ClarkT Senior Member

I'm sure a carefully designed mast sleeve and a very good welder could make something that works, but how could I make an improvement on the original?

I had in mind to fabricate a new carbon topmast section, then machine the step of the new topsection to splice into the original aluminum mast. Since I'm already machining the step, I'll also machine a taper into the inside of the splice so the overall mast bend is still very fair.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of project?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.