Marsh Duck Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kaioken, Jun 21, 2006.

1. kaioken

kaioken New Member

Im looking for plans for a marsh duck hunting boat. I would like to build something simular to this design, Instead of using Birch marine plywood I would like to use divinycell.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

3. twakeley

twakeley NAME Student

careful

Careful with those devlin plans. I built the "Mallard" with two other guys in high school and halfway through we had to cut 1/3 of the boat off with a sawzall and re-do it. The plans say on them in really small letters "plans are estimates only".

Originally we took the dimensions given for each piece and put them into autocad and printed out full scale templates. That left us with about a half inch gap between the top of the stations (bulkheads) and the top of the hull. so it was either cut down the stations or go back to the drawing board.

So we ended up taking the offsets given in another table and transferring them manually onto the ply. It ended up coming out great and we learned a ton from it.

I would think the hull offsets should match the other dimensions given in the drawing but they didnt work out too well. Overall I think its a good design with poor plans. But just check and double check as you go and you'll be ok.

1 person likes this.
  4. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

I don't understand what went wrong with the plans. In S&G (was it S&G?), there must be a dimensioned panel layout in order to get out proper panels.
    Offsets don't really do much good for a S&G boat. I thought S&G was all Sam Devlin produced.

5. twakeley

twakeley NAME Student

Yep it was S&G. Honestly this was a couple years ago so I don't remember the specifics. But there were essentially two different views for one piece. One was off by a bit, and caused issues with the stations. The other had offsets and after we plotted them off of a baseline the pieces came out perfectly. Maybe it was a huge error on our part, but we were closely supervised by teacher/carpenters and they seemed to think the plans were wrong as well. But hey just take your time and double check with both views and you'll be fine.

6. im412

im412 Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.