Marine Weatherstripping Type Stuff?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by nbehlman, Jun 27, 2013.

1. nbehlman

nbehlman Junior Member

I'm building a small wooden jet boat from a cannibalized jet ski. The nice thing about the particular ski I used is that the jet pump housing is a bolted-in aluminum casting instead of the common molded-into-the-hull fiberglass housing.

So... The seal material that lines the interface surface between the pump and the hull is in rough shape. I'd like to replace it. Can anyone recommend a good material? Is there some marine-grade weather stripping I could use? It would have to be pretty wide. I would be looking for something that can stand up to salt water. I've attached a couple pictures of the pump and seal. The seal will press up against a planed white oak board, coated with west systems epoxy.

Attached Files:

2. nbehlman

nbehlman Junior Member

anyone?

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Have you asked the parts dept of the jet-ski manufacturer? They might have the gasket.

4. nbehlman

nbehlman Junior Member

They stopped making jet skis about 13 years ago. I have found suppliers for many replacement parts, but not for this particular seal. For all I know, one of the previous owners replaced it with some DIY solution. I considered using automotive weatherstripping.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What you're looking for is closed cell polyurethane, neoprene or sponge rubber sheeting. It's sold in rolls, though I think you can get small quantities for some manufactures.

acehose.com
    star-seals.com
    metrogasket.com

are a few places you can find some . . .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.