making some fibre glass joints for aluminium and the such

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mmmboats, Sep 17, 2007.

1. mmmboats

mmmboats Junior Member

hi hope you guys and girls can help me, at the moment my holidays are coming up and i thought i would make up some shorter wings for my b14 out of snapped laser top sections and put some trapezes on the boat ala i14(make her 2m wide).
    ive got what i think i need fibreglass/ epoxy/ sections but how do you think i should make the joins? how many layers of lightish cloth would i need to stop the joints ripping apart? was thinking of rapping cloth around each peice of ulum builing up the join with strips of glass, say 20 mm thick then wrappin another layer of fibre glass around the whole joint to hold it together, then once done should i wrap it with peel ply (is that nylon) or grey tape which i have rolls of.
    thanks any help would be nice n i needa make a new centre board as well but im not up to that yet:)