Machining Composite Matierial?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by westsail42, May 22, 2007.

1. westsail42

westsail42 Junior Member

Ok, this is something I am wondering, but know absolutely nothing about.

How well/easily can composite material be machined? How different is it from machining metal parts? Are different tools involved?

My project is installing an rudder bearing (self-aligning roller bearing). The idea is to take two pieces of G10 tubing, turn the indside on both ends to the same outer diameter of the bearing unit, to half the depth of the bearing height. After aligning, the tube will be glassed over the port for the rudder post and the bearing slipped into the top. The second piece of tube will slip over the remaing exposed bearing, then the two tubes glassed together.

This idea will work very well, but hinges on being able to turn the inside of the G10 tube.

How easily can this be done?

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

easy you just spin it faster BUT they key is the clearance, I dont know G10 but most synthetics swell in water, you will need so many thou per inch diametre , and only the makers of the stuff can give you these factors I used to use lots of engineering plastics for things like brgs, thrust plates(rudder) crane slewing pads etc, does this help?

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Is this the G10 tubing you're thinking of? http://www.jjorly.com/g10_tubes_tubing.htm
    Being epoxy/E-glass, the stuff shouldn't have much if any tendency to swell when wet. This supplier's website indicates that it can be milled, turned, etc. without undue difficulty.

4. westsail42

westsail42 Junior Member

Yep, that's the stuff.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I will give it a go.