Low price Catamarans

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by SteveW, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khunian

khunian Junior Member

Gentlemen,

I was simply responding to RB comment about a sacrificial skeg. We have all heard about sacrificial keels and why you would have one - but never heard of a sacrificial skeg - again RB description. The photos on this thread and on RBs own site do not seem to show a very robust skey appendage but to Alik's point perhaps we have to break it off to see if it is strong enough :p

By the way RB's rather personal comments about Mr. O'Hanlon and his banking (most people open an account with minimal amount) and credit cards are uncalled for. As he likes to mention Mr. O'Hanlon's previous glowing comments about the Tiki 38 he should also re-read his own blog and glowing comments about Mr. O'Hanlon.

Regards,

Ian

2. RB PowerSailing

RB PowerSailing Senior Member

Creed's modifications

Dear All

here below some of the designs that were supplied by the Customer during the construction . I repeat the numbers , one more time , as they are unbelievable :

1511 email to myself

over 500 - 600 ( some have been deleted ) to Chris Harrel and Allan ..

ALL the modifications have been requested in written by the Customer , and we are talking of few HUNDREDS of modifications ; some parts have been done 3 and even more , times . Now , deny the modifications is a nonsense . The emails and even the drawings are there to proove it .

Everything changed size , position , design , at least a couple of time :))

The extra cost for all these modifications is very minimum . We charged the bare cost on just some of the hundreds of modifications .

But the point is that the problem is not the 16,000 US$ extra ... the problem is the balance payment foreseen by the contract ...

Regards

RB

Attached Files:

3. Boring...this thread is becoming a Thai bar discussion....

4. RB PowerSailing

again

If you have a look at our web site , you will notice that we changed our Blog address . The previous blog raoulbianchetti.blogspot.com has been opened and written entirely by Creed .

I am trying now to get the control of this blog again , and Creed is refusing to deliver the password .

There are many things you don't know , as normal ;

Creed even warned other customers about making businness with this Yard ; i don't have more any respect for him and i don't see should i keep hiding what is the reality of his behavior .

He asked me many times to hire him ( he got some serious money problems , you believe it or not ) as marketing manager and offered himself to proove that he could sell our boats . This is the reason behind the blog 1 and 2 .

I am not interested in hiring a marketing manager now , and i asked him to pay the bills for his boat . This is the reason behind the criticisms .

Simple and straight .

Anyway your commentaries about Mr. O'Hanlon beeing a very successful entrepreneur are uncalled for too . Basically got nothing to see with his boat and the reason why has not been delivered . They also proove that you don't know him .

I know why has not been delivered and Creed knows it too . A few other persons know it too . You welcome to believe what you like .

bye

RB

5. khunian

khunian Junior Member

No - you stand more chance of getting a straight answer from a Thai than an Italian!

Why make a skeg sacrificial? (a simple question that RB will not answer)

To Chris's point you do what you can to minimize risk and structural design is one important aspect. Certainly being able to rudderless steer or jury rig is a valuable skill but structure is most important and better to rely on in the middle of the night and heavy seas!

Ian

6. I will answer to you because seems you do not understand easily: BECAUSE IT IS A DIFFERENT CONSTRUCTION METHOD COMPARED WITH ORIGINAL WHARRAM PLY-EPOXY, IT IS A MONOCOQUE STRIP PLANKING COMPOSITE THEN YOU DO NOT NEED ANYMORE STRUCTURAL SKEG.... sacrificial skeg to do not means that will sacrifice itself, means a "sacrificial" protection to the hull.
    kao Ciai ????
    I guess any Italian would answer stupid questions like that!!

7. khunian

khunian Junior Member

A skeg is to protect a rudder (or prop) not the hull or are you suggesting that if the skeg was structural it could lead to failure of the strip planked hull?

8. RB PowerSailing

khunian

By the way RB's rather personal comments about Mr. O'Hanlon and his banking (most people open an account with minimal amount)

May be i did not explain properly :

@ he opened an account after i asked him to get the money transferred to Thailand , as he came here to take the delivery of the boat without 1 US$ in the pocket . And the insurance ? the Marina ? Captain ? Gasoline ???

@ as foreigners cannot open an account in Thailand without Work Permit or a long term Visa, we had to guarantee with Khun Parichart , Bank Manager ; she accepted to open the account as he said that some money would have been transferred asap .

@ account opened with 20 US$

@ Creed supposely waited for 1 week for some money to be transferred

@ Allan called him some 10 times , and he said that the money was on is way ..

@ he then took a taxy, without say one word , went to the bank and withdraw the 20 US$ . And back to Australia .

Need further commentaries ?

Please , let 's leave it as it is .

9. RB PowerSailing

quoting AB

Thanks Luigi ,

good explanation . Still better to break the skeg then the hull , in the unlucky case :rolleyes:

RB

10. but KhunIan mai kao ciai....

11. .... sacrificial skeg to do not means that will sacrifice itself, means a "sacrificial" protection to the hull-propeller-rudder-beaching-etc..Corrected professor, OK?

12. RB PowerSailing

But KhunIan

:confused:

@ The skeg on this boat is surely mainly for directionality . Protection of the hull and rudder are secondary .
    This is why the boat is closing the wind so well , for example . and why is so stable in route with minimum adjustments at the helm

@ Anyway in many other cases the skeg is there to protect the hull , exactly . Normally these parts are designed to serve more then one reason . Protection , directionality , to help pointing etc .

@ A structural skeg , as the one designed by Jamwes Wharram , could of course lead to the failure of the hull , in case of failure of the structure .

In two words :

- a structural skeg is stronger , probably , but his failure can lead to damages to the hull .

- a sacrificial skeg is probably weaker but his failure will not damage the hull .

Now, i said probably for a reason : with the modern materials it is not easy to say .

A join in a piece of timber , well done with epoxy , can be stronger then the solid part .

The same apply to the modern cloth : the result is not evident and need to be calculated .

I am not convinced that the skeg we built will be weaker then the original backbone designed by Wharram . Hard to say . 4 layers of MD 850/epoxy .... that's not a joke .

Could easily be stronger then a continous piece of plywood .

As Albert said , it would be necessary to perform the structural calculations , that have never been done for the Tiki 38 ( as far as i know ) .

Rgds

RB

13. RB PowerSailing

interior of Tiki 38 -2

some other images of the interior .

tks

RB

Attached Files:

14. khunian

khunian Junior Member

http://www.seatalk.info/cgi-bin/nau...rds=1&uid=default&Term=skeg&submit=Look it up!

Perhaps in Italian there is a different meaning but protection of the hull is not the function of a skeg and sacrifice means just that.

" Anyway in many other cases the skeg is there to protect the hull" - this does not seem to have any rational basis.

From your photo (attached) the skeg will obviously provide some directionality but the hull shape dictates that the keel is providing the collision protection of the hull.

The two rudder attachment points on the skeg are carrying the bulk of the hydrodynamic load of the rudder and therefore loss of the skeg is potentially an issue. Even without loss it will be taking a lot of strain from the forces on the rudder and needs to be solid.

I understand your points regarding the glass construction of the skeg but you are the one who said it was designed to be sacrificial implying designed failure. If it is not and the structure is very strong then no problem.

Ian

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.