Loss of W.O.T. RPM..or, get up and go is gone...further advice needed.

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by huntleybill, Jul 15, 2012.

1. huntleybill

huntleybill New Member

1995 Four Winns 115 Evinrude on a jet.

Has no power. Boat goes 5-10 mph max. Starts great. Idles great. These are the fixes I have tried...

After removing from the lake of really slow boating, I tried replacing spark plugs and hooked up the 6 gal. fresh gas tank from my outboard. FLushed lined to carb to make sure I had fresh gas. Started motor on trailer and it reved up real nice. Way faster RPMs then when I was in the water.

Took boat to lake...put in water..same problem. Tried priming bulb to force gas in...no difference. Tried manually working carb butterflies, little to no difference. Dissapointed I took the boat home.

Today, I tested spark, all good, tested compression...all good. Read in service manual as to how the throttle linkage should be set. Linkage is as it is supposed to be. Also read in service manual about "plugged or leaking pulse limiter. Followed instructions and removed hose and limiter and back washed with carb. cleaner. Motor fired right up and RPM's are back to normal. Oh, by the way...I only ran motor for a few seconds then shut it off.

So, if I take it back to the lake...I'm worried I will have the same issue. Is there something on the jet or something else that can be causing this? Plugged muffler perhaps??? Jet pump damaged perhaps???? Sea weed in the flux capacitor perhaps?????

Please shed some light my way. It seems that the motor is ok....or is it?

Thank you

2. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

What max rpms do you get when in the water?
    With everything ok in the engine; jet pump may be the troublemaker. BTW, what's the weight of that boat in operating mode?

3. masalai

masalai masalai

How is the propeller? - - is it CLEAN? - - Is the nozzle and all the areas inside the jet clean and shiny like a new one?

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Need to be sure you are running on all cylinders. Check the plugs for any sign of oiliness after running at higher revs.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Classic plastic bag on the impellor.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

So, do tell, what was the problem?

Something to read whilst waiting for a reply... Not sure where it will lead - but interesting none the less - No it is NOT economic, political, on boats but the passage of time and some history on "Meme" ... - Learn something new every day.... http://www.dailyreckoning.com.au/ideas-in-the-digital-age/2012/07/16/

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Please keep the replies appropriate and related to the OP's question. If the impeller housing was clogged, the engine will probably reach high RPM's under load anyway, but overheat. The cooling is through a bypass on the jet outlet.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

How have we failed you?

9. masalai

masalai masalai

and again, I await impatiently for information on the cause of the problem headlined...