Loose containers at sea - SCARY

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Nov 9, 2009.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

Those facilities are standard on most small radar for recreational boaters... but 'eyes' are better... and if working more reliable...

2. Sinclair D-R

Sinclair D-R Junior Member

Fanie,

For the beer: could carry a beer-can holder tied up around your neck. At all times!

Best, cheers.
    Sinclair

3. Sinclair D-R

Sinclair D-R Junior Member

Daiquiri,

You need an arch or post to accomodate it, then NRG for the sweep and screen, etc.
    I realize it is an -unavoidable- safety equipment...

Masalay,
    Did you receive my mail? When you have a minute!

Thanks to Manie for iniciating this thread!

Safe winds.
    Sinclair

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Oh well

radar is a must

do you know how stooopid my microcruiser / minitonner is going to look with an arch with radar dome and solar panels

so much for building light hey :rolleyes:

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Cheap radars are not worth the box they come in. I have had two. I would have only had one,-- but this salesman---oooh he was good.

A radar will not see containers.

Ive not heard of any one hitting a container mind you hitting one is the last thing you do. Another reason for not sailing at night.

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Please comment on this radar combination

Raydome 4 kw

http://www.raymarine.co.za/products/marine-radar/radome-antennas/

C80 display

http://www.raymarine.co.za/products/c-series/e02020/

Please keep in mind affordability, and for use on a small yacht as that extra pair of eyes. Not for containers in the water but illegal tankers with no lights and a drunk crew fast asleep.

I hope that Raymarine doesn't fall into this catagory

just asking cause i dont know

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Good radars might be outside of our price range but I belive the broadband radars are coming.. Thou for the drunken freighters I'd like more to see an affordable anti-freighter missile :p

8. mark775

mark775 Guest

Radar is good but containers I have seen at sea were mostly just at the surface. An empty refrigerated container will float about six inches up in seawater (it doesn't matter in the short-term if it has been gnarled by a ships prop or not), a container with TVs and appliances about at the surface, A container of beer (60% broken bottles) just under the surface, best case scenario (other than these corks on video) is a containerized pre-fab cedar home at about four feet above waterline. ******** have lost as many as nine containers in one good winter storm here.
    This is a big deal to the ship's crew. I believe it is still the mate's responsibility (ultimately the master's, of course) and there is nothing that can be done about what happened but salvage later with a ship equipped for this. A big black mark for the mate for not securing well enough (he probably trusted stevedores but he has the obligation to make them do it right).

9. mark775

mark775 Guest

Teddy, It might be easy for you with everything a guy could need produced locally - Karhu, reindeer, cell phones, tires, (even Santa!)... but the world needs and relies upon shipping.

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Radar's won't see a floating container unless if it sticks out enough. Then it's called a boat ;)

Manie, the only advice I can think of is not to race.

The broadband radar's are advertised in the SA Sailing magazine, but they are still expensive imo. You guys must remember we have a **** value currency and the local idiots wants it to go even worse :( They complain on Tv how 'strong' it is every news cast. We pay 7+ times more for something than what you guys do. Fcuk :(:( Oops sorry. Slipped out :rolleyes:

I think Manie, the question one should ask is "How many of you guys out there encoutered floating containers ?" and "Is it really something one should worry about ?"

You must remember one have troubles finding BIG boats at sea. The sea is a beee heeee heeeeg place. This means your's encountering a container is only about 90% :D

Some more English humour for the chaps here ;)

Actually it is Masa_delay.... :D

11. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Nothing against globalizied economy my friend.. Just f¤%*&#§# vehicles in the hands of &#¤%&# I'm opposed.. :rolleyes:

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

i hear what you say guys - thanks

but can anybody give me an answer to this

NOT TALKING ABOUT CONTAINERS

just general usage ;)

13. masalai

masalai masalai

2KW is enough and I like Furuno 1623 (16nm) or the 1715 (24nm) models prefering the latter... This AIS "radar" receiver is also a worthy inclusion...

Attached Files:

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

A real good Radar will cost about 25000$ thats true. But the new broadband Radar from Simrad / Lofrans is worth the 5000$ it costs. And you CAN see a container, even with that cheap broadband Radar.
    A X band can see a single beer can drifting.
    Regards
    Richard

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I didn't know that. Hope I never get THAT desperate :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.