Looking for good books on aluminum hull construction

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by stonebreaker, Jun 7, 2006.

1. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

Just like the title says. I know the shape I want to make the boat, now I need to learn how to put it together correctly. I've never built a boat before, so I need everything - what alloy(s) to use, what filler metal(s), interior hull structure, engine mounts, fuel tank standards, all that stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm building a 24' pontoon boat in the USA, if that helps.

2. SeaQuiCk

SeaQuiCk New Member

A good start is to read Aluminium and the Sea from Alcan, it's all in there, here's the link
    http://www.alcan-marine.com, select Library - download Aluminium and the Sea, you have to download each chapter separately, it's a bit off a hassle, but very well worth it, I've put them into a downloadable zip file, so if you would like to go the easy way, you can download it from my website in once, I think(hope) Alcan don't mind...
    http://www.seaquick.com/downloads/AluminiumandtheSea.zip
    another good book is "Boatbuilding with Aluminum" by Steve Pollard, ISBN 0-07-050426-1
    I also attached some pdf's on wire selection in another thread, you can find that through my profile
    Good luck with your project!

3. stonebreaker

Thank you, Sir!

I've downloaded it and look forward to reading it.

4. sal's Dad

sal's Dad Atkin/Bolger fan

5. stonebreaker

Thanks, SD.

6. PHAUSSMANN

PHAUSSMANN New Member

Helo
    I have the chance to buy an Old Starcraft boat, it is near a 22 feet long, locks good but need some repair.
    How can I now the year of this nice boat. In a plate is writen that the maximun HP is 150.
    I need more information, please if you now more about this kind of boats write to me.
    Thanks
    PEDRO HAUSSMANN

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.