Looking for feedback on new 83' powerboat design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by aktxyz, Jan 29, 2021.

1. aktxyz

aktxyz Junior Member

thanks moderator for the new thread title !

2. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

No problem at all.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Really ? That is a typo, or what ? That power just sounds impractical in such a small boat. Unless you know of something similar ?

4. Mr Efficiency

Perish the thought that the OP is getting a teensy bit antsy with TANSL, in his insistence that hard data and numbers trump "sexy" renderings. Of course they do, but drawings and renderings + numbers together, all help.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Yes, the OP seems nervous, or irritable, and I have my opinion on that. Of course, I agree, indeed everything helps and everything is necessary, some things more than others but all are necessary. The only thing I have said is that I was more interested in helping and giving my opinion on issues related to naval architecture. Perhaps to say that is disrespect or hides unspeakable intentions, who knows!

6. Mr Efficiency

I always get the sense when looking at these boats with their plumb bows and minimal flare, of a wet boat. I guess the degree to which that matters, varies form one boat to the next.

7. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

There is this excellent article on the Setsail site by Steve Dashew about the seakeeping of the FPB vessels -
    SetSail FPB » Blog Archive » Heavy Weather Tactics For Power Boats: Big Waves and Small Details https://setsail.com/heavy-weather-tactics-for-power-boats-big-waves-and-small-details/

And here is a photo from the article -

FPB 64 Avatar - 1.jpg

Re the 15' / 950 lb tender on the OP's design - I was also wondering about this.
    @aktxyz where are you planning on stowing this beast - if on the upper deck, are you certain that the stability calculations are still ok with it up there?

I think quite honestly that if you want a vessel like this, then just simply and shamelessly copy the FPB 83 Wind Horse and all her amazing details - they have done all the research and dirty work for you already. I am sure that Steve Dashew would be flattered, especially as he is no longer building any new FPBs.

TANSL likes this.
  8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I'm curious, who is the naval architect designing it?

9. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.