Looking for a designer for an electric catamaran project

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by solarsailor, Nov 18, 2021.

1. solarsailor

solarsailor Junior Member

Hello everyone,

I'm building a small 2 - 4 person electric-powered catamaran with solar panels. It will be primarily for hotels and small boat rentals to provide an alternative to Hobie Cats and similar for people, who want to have fun on water and be ecofriendly, but don't want to learn sailing.

I'm looking for a naval architect or designer to do the initial design, estimate the weight, water resistance, required power, and do the 3d modeling. Please let me know if interested.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

I know that you have posted elsewhere on this subject, but how about posting on here any sketches that you have come up with yourself or any photos showing other boats that you might be keen on using as a basis vessel for your new design?

Are you in the happy position of having a (relatively, for the size of boat) unlimited budget to develop this new business plan?

There are a few beach hotels here that have Hobie Waves and Getaways available for their guests, but I think there could also be a small niche market for something like what you propose - but what would the estimated cost of a new one be, in comparison to say a Wave or Getaway?

3. solarsailor

Here's one example:

[​IMG]
    https://solarboatsusa.com/

It's much larger though than what I was thinking.

What I had in mind is a boat with 4 seats with seat backs that can drop down and become one big sun bed. It's designed to spend most of the time at anchor. The size can be about 12ft long, unless more required for better performance.

I can't say about the cost yet until I have the design. I'm guessing the price would be higher than a Wave or Getaway, as this boat will be build in fiberglass, not rotomolded, and it needs more material and some equipment, like a remote help and throttle, although there is no sailing rig.

bajansailor likes this.
  4. Youssef Hamdy

Youssef Hamdy Junior Member

Hello,
    can you please add your email for contact?

thanks,

5. solarsailor

Hi Youssef,

I just sent you a private message with my email.

6. good rindo

good rindo Junior Member

Hello,
    I am an Naval Architect and have experience in to do that job, may I show you some my portfolio, you can visit my website https://goodrindo.id also you can check my 3d ship design animation in my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF2v4GIxweDq-OZqJiBd7ZLjHvI4enk8S

7. solarsailor

Hi good rindo,

Great designs! I texted you on Whatsapp. Looks like your messages here are locked.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.