looking for a modern-classical sailboat design to build

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by luizebs, Nov 6, 2009.

1. luizebs

luizebs Junior Member

Does anyone have any suggestion?

I am looking for something:
    1- smaller than 30 feet, so that it is not too expensive
    2- Weekender, spartan cabin, but able to sleep and basic cooking, and with a porta potti
    3- Big cockpit (so that a couple can sleep at night under a tent)
    4- Reasonable performance (specially in light winds)
    5- Seaworthiness for small coastal cruise (max 70nm)
    6- Beautiful, traditional looking, but modern design under the hood (should I say, below the water line?)

If anyone knows a good project to amateur building, please let me know...

I initially though about Nigel Irens "Roxane" or Romilly, but I did not get any reply (emailed him some time ago...)

Also I am not finding the Antonio Dias site... Does anyone know the correct link? (He has an interesting Annabelle, but I would like to check if he has something a little bit bigger)

Thanks a lot

2. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Help yourself to the work of my friend, John Welsford.

http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/

If the right boat for you does not already exist in his portfolio, John is always happy to produce something new, or to modify an existing design, that will fit the bill and his work in that regard is very reasonable. His Penguin design looks to be very nicely aimed at your interests.

John's knowledge is expansive and he's one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

4. luizebs

luizebs Junior Member

Yes, this is what I was looking for...

Is there anyone built already?

How does she performs in light winds?

Could you send me pictures?

How much would be the costs for the complete plans (and the study plans)?

(I prefer the first two boats, as I am not a big fan of double enders)

5. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Modern Classic to Build

Could be anything. You build or contract? Lots of choices.

Attached Files:

6. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design.

Attached Files:

7. luizebs

luizebs Junior Member

I will contract a professional carpenter to build.

The building location is free (dont have to pay for the rent), and most of the tools are provided (also free)

A carpenter labor is not as expensive as it is in other countries (I will probably have to pay something around 1500-2000 dollars each month)

I am still very much undecided about which boat to build...

Presto was one of those that I am considering, although I think the carbon masts would be expensive to build, right? Does it require curing in autoclaves or such? Or just simple ambient temperature lamination? (Sorry for my ignorance)

Another question:
    I have been looking at several plans available for building, most of them mention 1500 to 2500 hours to build. Would that be also applied to the situation where I hire a professional carpenter? That would correspond to about 10 months of building... Is that right?

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

When you go for the max. length you posted above (30´), then 2000 hrs might be not enough! If there is only one man building the boat, he will never do that in one year!!!
    The estimations coming with stock plans are almost always too optimistic.

A carpenter would NOT be my choice to hire. A boatbuilder should be not much more in cost, but has the skills you need. Carpenters build more often than not, worse boats than amateurs! They just know too much, unfortunately the wrong stuff.

You must not cure a carbon mast in a autoklave, but you should not build one also. When you have no practice with such material, the chance to make a expensive mess is rather large. Buy a standard alu rigg instead.

9. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Now you are on to disrespecting the carpenters . What the matter you dont have enough work to do ?

10. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Right that it would be better to hire a boatbuilder. Wrong in my experience that a carpenter would build a worse boat than an amateur. I am a finish carpenter by trade, since 40 years ago. Moving into boatbuilding and boat rebuilding was a cinch for me. Basically, you need to make a shape out of wood and you know exactly what tools to use and your eye does not err in following a line or guaging how much english to apply to the plane or the rasp, always knowing intuitively when to stop, when to shift processes.
    Not all carpenters are fine finish men. Many are framers only, built for power rather than finesse. None of these would apply to a boatbuilding job, I think.
    Find someone who builds fancy stairs if no boatbuilder is available.

11. luizebs

luizebs Junior Member

Sorry, when I said "carpenter" I really meant a boatbuilder (or a navel carpenter)

English is not my mother language, and I though I could use the word carpenter or naval carpenter...

So you guys think a boatbuilder would not be able to complete a boat (forgetting about rigging and hydraulics installations) in 2 months?

(strip planking, spartan installations inside the cabin, with only berths and a porta-potti)

Do you think this 2months building time is completely out of reality, even for a professional?

Thanks a lot

12. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

To keep the cost down you may find that starting with an old Soling or Etchells that is no longer competative might give you a good head start,both could be modified with a different transom and cuddy cabin,teak decks, dark paint job etc.Someone in the US made a very attractive daysailer out of an old Pearson Triton.Old solings are a dime a dozen in the US.
    Steve.

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

For a completed boat (ready to sail) in that range 12 month are out of reality.
    So, you may assume 2 month maybe enough to get the building prepared to start, not much more. When it is done in a yard, with every tool available, you may get the bare hull done in 2 month. But even in a yard, one man is not finished after one year with a 30´ boat.

Regards
    Richard

what do YOU know about boatbuilding? right...nothing..

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

In North Carolina the usual build time for a Sport fisherman of around 57' is nine months.

15. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Richard , at least I know what I dont know . You on the other hand seem to enjoy displaying your ignorance . You are like a turkey strutting all around .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.