Trimaran lost

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Manfred.pech, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

Danish Trimaran capsized in Biscayne bay and three sailors are missing. The Trimaran was built by Bent Quorning, an uncle of Jens Quorning (Dragonfly), 33 years ago from ply. In the event the boat was broken totally: http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-58162409:kæntret-båd-ikke-bygget-til-havsejlads.html
    [​IMG]

SA Homepage:

UPDATE FROM DENMARK: My name is Jens Quorning, I am the manufacturer of Dragonfly Trimarans. I have of course been closely following the accident of the Danish capsized and damaged trimaran where 3 Danish people are unfortunately still missing. But I would just like to inform you that your story reporting the boat as a Quorning built trimaran is not really correct. This trimaran (called Jonathan Livingston Seagull) was designed back in 1975 by my uncle, Bent Quorning, and was the only trimaran he built, and it was finished by a boatyard in plywood. It still looked good last year, but I don’t know many 33-year old plywood trimarans that will do well in Biscay in a storm.

So please note that the trimaran has no relation to the Borge and Jens
    Quorning-designed Dragonfly Trimarans. Thank you for your attention and keep up your good work.

Best regards,
    -Jens

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Manfred-it wasn't Biscayne Bay was it? I think it was the English channel?

3. Krauthammer

Krauthammer Junior Member

No. Bay of Biscay, Bordeaux, France.

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I dont really see the relevance of the "plywood" comment plenty of multihulls constructed in plywood have stood up to the worst conditions and survived.

5. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

In the coincidence department Richard Bach, author of the book Jonathon Livingston Seagull, crashed his airplane about a month ago on San Juan Islands after hitting hard to see wires while landing on San Juan Island. Last I read he was recovering slowly.

From the inverted tow photo it looks like the ama connectives let go and the remaining ama is hanging on by rigging wires. Not a plywood issue but a reminder to check for fatigue on those Buccaneer style connectives. What did Crowther use there?

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

It looks more like the Crowther Kraken system which was a ply box beam without waterstays and had aluminium stilts that connected the beam to the float. Hard to tell for sure from the photos.

7. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

I think you're right, I was thinking of Bandersnatch, the Kraken 33.

8. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

I think so too. It looks like this Crowther design: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/historical-multihulls-42019-22.html
    [​IMG]

The construction looks solid, but I think there might have been problems in the connection between float and beam. The Mk I and MK IV Version of Kraken 33 are different. But I do not know enough about this design and its history.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.