Long term survival boat ideas

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by mmutch, Nov 9, 2012.

1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Pretty handy having a few jerry jugs of fuel around. Imagine living next to a Nuclear power plant. Homer Simpson spills his coffee on the control panel. the reactor goes wild, alarms are sounding ...you and three million of your mates prepare to make a quick getaway and ..rats, car low on fuel, three million people in line at the gas station. Youre toast

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Your not thinking big enough picture --your only thinking for tomorrow.

You had better wise up and think what you will need one year from now. Your car will no longer run, no oil, flat tyres what ever.

You will be in the forest trying to hide from humans trying to take anything from you.

What would you need then?

3. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

You can get gas with no ethenol for long term storage. What I cant get over is the number of people that want the gov. to fix things right now. I've been without power for as long as 6 weeks after a storm,and there are people getting pissed after 2. They seem to have no understanding of what it takes to get things back up and running. This should be a wake up call for the people in the north east. Your prep supplies should be made up of shelter, food, meds, and self protection. It should have tiers starting at a house with a generator, down to a backpack with tent, food, meds, warm socks, and a way to boil water, like a kelly kettle.The gov. will not not be there to help every time you need help. You need to be able to make it on your own for at least 3 days, and if you have the basic supplies, tools, and know how needed for three days you can make it three weeks or three years on land or in a boat. Rick

4. michael pierzga

All sounds good but what about the 85 year old lady living alone without much money. Cold in New England this time of year.

5. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I dont know about New England, but regardless of what people thank about the South we take care of each other in a desaster. Katrena is a good example of what happens when Gov. cant respond in real time, and the nearest states that would have responded were unable to . Rick

6. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Long term cooking fuel would probably have to be alcohol used in a origo etc...as I'm not sure you could refine anything else yourself. Coconut oil and biodiesel have their points but in a long term situation relying and mechanicals for propulsion isn't reliable.

7. michael pierzga

Nothing wrong with self sufficiency. Im a boat guy and spend very much time in situations were no one can help.

A few months ago I monitored a MAYDAY. The casuality calling stated that the vessel was out of fuel. The Coard Gaurd asked if they were in danger and the answer was NO, we are anchored in the harbour and need to get ashore to catch our airplane home................................

8. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

The still could produce your cooking and heating fuel And make firewater for trade goods......

9. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Reminds me of the expression, "a lack of preparedness on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

10. michael pierzga

And it all comes back to an over reliance on Government or some kinda social program .

This is just the way the modern world.

1 person likes this.
  11. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Yah, a lack of personal responsibility.

12. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I already live in the mountains, far enough away that all the city folks would not likely be able to get there without fuel anyway.

"heading for the mountains" is not a good plan either, you and a million other people might get the same idea, and be shooting at each other within a few weeks when every living creature has been wipped out and eaten with about 20 miles of every big city. Best not the live there in the first place if you are worried about when the big "stuff hits the fan" (SHTF).

Most likely emergency is just what we see every winter somewhere, localized disaster, earthquake, flooding, hurricane, etc. where they can not get order and transportation restored for several weeks or months. So at most you only need to get by on your own for 2 months. that should be doable with some careful planning and think more like camping out, rather than living like you normally do watching TV and turning on the heater for most of the winter.

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi ST,
    With a history of inaccurate forecasts of "The end of the World" it is more than likely that the date will be wrong leaving all caught "with their pants down" - so to speak.... :D :D

1 person likes this.
  14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I have no intention of reincarnating, as I have an escape route, you see I'll get beamed up (we don't call it that, but it's a term you'd understand), just before the event and come back as the master of the world, after. If any of you puny humans survive, I'll be seen as the next coming or possably the anti Christ, either will work for me, as the level of servitude will be enjoyable. I think I'd prefer the anti Christ, because bad girls are usually a lot hotter.

15. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

AAAAH SO YOU ARE PAYING FOR HIS SUPER YACHT !!:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.