outboard engine's propeller

Discussion in 'Props' started by kmwoo, Sep 16, 2009.

1. kmwoo

kmwoo New Member

I’m an engineering student and i have a question can anyone help me please....:confused: :confused: :confused:
    i want to know about type of outboard engine's propeller . if i use Wageningen B-series propellers to predict about outboard engine's propeller it right or wrong ??? and could u tell me the series of propeller can use with outboard engine's propeller

2. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

If we are talking "standard" outboards, they are mostly operating in a high-speed, low-load condition and with an imminent risk for cavitation or ventilation.

For this purpose, the Newton-Rader series would be a better fit; the Gawn-Burrill probably coming next. There is some data on W-B with a cup as well, that may be relevant to you. I'll see if I can produce some references for you later. As you have noted, most propeller matching (not design....) programs have algorithms, based on the W-B series. Due to the cambered blade sections of the N-R, there will be a shift in optimum advance ratio for each pitch ratio when you compare the two.

3. kmwoo

kmwoo New Member

thanks. baeckmo

could u have Gawn-Burrill curve or Newton-Rader series curve and conference or reference data sheet. i will use it to validate with my thesis.

4. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Sorry to keep you waiting; got to do some job for those paying my bills now and then...

Here a few references that may get you on track:

"Performance Data of Propellers for High Speed Craft" by RN Newton and HP Rader; The Royal Inst of Naval Architects, Quarterly Transactions, April 1961, Vol 103 No 2.

"A New Usable Propeller Series" by Denny, Puckette, Hubble, Smith and Najarian; Marine Technology Vol 26, No 3, July 1969, pp 173-191.

"Design Considerations for Propellers in a Cavitating Environment" by DL Blount and DL Fox; Marine Technology Vol 15, No 2, April 1978, pp 144-178.

"Cupped Propeller Test and Analysis" by Hwang et al; Schiffstechnik Bd 42-1995 / Ship Technology Research Vol 42 -1995.

Good luck and please keep us posted with your results!

5. kmwoo

kmwoo New Member

thanks. baeckmo for your reference data and your attention in my topic.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.