Sources for fabrics at good prices

Discussion in 'Materials' started by goanywhere, Mar 27, 2011.

1. goanywhere

goanywhere Junior Member

Hi all, I am intending to build a plywood S&G kayak, and would appreciate any contacts for good prices on construction fabrics (fibreglass, kevlar etc.). I am in Australia and our prices here are very high for these materials, I am thinking of buying from the US. I am looking for a supplier who offers good prices as well as sound advice on the right materials for my project.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

3. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

I think our prices are competitive, what have you been quoted?
    The quantity you require for a kayak is very small and not worth importing.

4. latman

latman Junior Member

I build kayaks/skis for a living in Australia, and whilst the prices of materials are high they still only end up one quarter of my annual costs , Labour is about one half. So my advice is not to even bother thinking about the material costs (you did mention plywood S&G) which means you only need woven tape and resin doesn't it ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.