Lightning!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by FAST FRED, Oct 7, 2007.

1. moTthediesel

moTthediesel Junior Member

So why buy a new engine? Get a used top line engine (Cummins, Yanmar, Cat, Deere, etc). Consider it a core and get it rebuilt at a reputable shop: Bobs' yer uncle, you got a fresh, reliable all mechanical engine :cool:
    moT

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

That is why I stuck with my old detroit 671, even the starters are compress air.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"So why buy a new engine?"

My first choice would ALWAYS be for a used truck take out , but I am under the assumption that to register a new build it will have to have a modern (Tier II) engine .Since the boat will be dry stack & keel cooled an ex truck engine is always lowest cost , and a seasoned block , machined and rebuilt is usually more reliable than "factory new".

Can I document , or import a new boat with a decade old motor?

FF

4. moTthediesel

Fred,
    To document the boat would get the Feds involved for sure, and that would put the Coasties in your engine room :(
    If you went with a State registration as a home built boat, (at least here in NY) that puts a Conservation Officer onboard for one quick look see. In my experience, all they care about is your safety equipment, then they give you a hull number and your done ;)
    You would have to check how things are done in FL, but as you don't even have car inspections there anymore, I doubt you'd have too much trouble.
    moT

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The hassle is the Euro bureauRats.

The purpose of the vessel is to be able to cruise worldwide , with out the usual cost and hassles of an ocean crossing , or an ocean crossing boat.

The boat will be just under 12Meters and hopefully under 8800lbs , to make the Euros easier to please (simpler rules I'm told), but I'm not sure THEIR inspection will just be safety gear!

Where are Your Papers?

FF

6. moTthediesel

Zzzzzeeeesss paperzz are NOT -- in orderrrrr!!!

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Fred, what Motthedeisel said. Not so. The US Coast Guard does not inspect documented recreational boats. (except an occasional boarding for safety gear) No Coastie is going to come around and inspect your engine. You can put any kind of engine in it you want. If you want to use a truck engine, have at it. If the boat gets documented in the US then the rest of the world is not going to care what your engine is because as long as it complies with US laws, its ok by them.

The US EPA doesn't care what engine you put in there either as long as it's built by you for your own use. If you are building it to sell that is a different story. But for your own use you can do what you want.

The Euros will only get involved if you decide to sell the boat there, or if you carry passengers for hire. In the US if you carry 6 or less passengers for hire then again, it's a recreational boat and only has to meet recreational boat requirements.

If you register the boat in a US state, then you will have problems in every country you enter worldwide. Customs people want to see US documentation papers, not some registration issue by a US state. In Mexico, Canada, the Bahamas and a few other close neighbors registration is accepted, but not much of anywhere else. I once got a phone call from the customs in Germany because a guy tried to enter his boat with state registration. Geez what a hassle that was. Wasn't much the US Coast Guard (me) could do but verify that the registration was valid. I have had similar calls from Spain, Russia, and elsewhere. Just document it. It's worth the cost if you are going cruising.

1 person likes this.

8. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I have read on this board of British boats , built before old Europe became Euroland that were refused entry to EU.

These 25 year old vessels were "supposed" to be grandfathered, but were not admitted . Just a pleasure cruise , not vessels for sale.

I always build to USCG Sub chapter "T" as it is cheap insurance that the vessel at least has realistic hull scantlings , and is reasonably built.

I wouldn't own a GRP boat NOT built of Fire Retardant resin , and I'm hardly bothered by the need for a collision bulkhead. They work as great chain lockers and the mud smell doesn't get into the boat.

With a vessel that has worldwide cruising ability (in Da Box) who knows where she will eventually end up ?

So I am still seeking a now, Tier III , Euro 4 legal engine.

Worst that happens is there are no longer mechanical engines built legal, which will shift the hull construction to someone else , as I don't work in Aluminum.
    GRP looks better after years of hard use than aluminum seems to, so the resale is an eventual concern.

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.