Lets put an Asymmetrical Spinnaker on a Topper!

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by dylantorquerol, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

The idea was that you would use part of a used spin if the price was right-not the whole thing....

2. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Get a blue plastic tarpaulin and make a cheap kite. When it blows out, buy another tarp.

3. dylantorquerol

dylantorquerol Junior Member

I know that I would only use part of it but it would cost at least another $200-400 for NS to recut it. And no, I can't do it my self because I don't have a sowing machine. :( I did just find another small gennaker and I am waiting to see how much $ and size. :) The tarp is too heavy of a material and won't fill to the right shape in lighter winds. It also might have trouble stuffing in the snuffer. I have tried making one out of painting plastic but I have to make more panels.

4. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Well if you're really keen people did manage to sew things without sewing machines for thousands of years.

5. dylantorquerol

I am sad to say that I have given up on this project. The cheapest option I have found comes out to $400 which is too expensive for a project that might not even turn out well. :(

6. Munter

Munter Amateur

$400 is enough to buy a cheap cherub which would be a vastly more fun planing boat. Your decision to shelve the turbo topper plan is a sensible one. Keep an eye out on trademe for a fun ride perhaps?

7. zerogara

zerogara build it and sail it

There are many Toppers, some of them very fast but I assume you are referring to the classic ABS Topper of the 70s. I have one, from the real early ones.
    It has a round two piece mast held together by the sail, and a sliding round notch thingy on the hull, which is screwed in to the abs. No rigging, like the Laser I.
    Other than the mast which if the winds are kept to the low side of 15kt these forces go on deck somehow, if the sail is to be pushing the hull along a direction. I have a hard time believing the deck will hold much more force before folding in half or more pieces.

By the way, how do you fair the hull, mine is scratched to hell! Kids! I was one in the 70s :)

8. dylantorquerol

Thanks, I guessed something like that, even though these things are indestructible. (Rotomolded) :) The one way that works every time to fair the hull, is the buy a new one. :) Just kidding. :) I just use a knife to scratch off the pieces protruding and thats the best I can do. Live with it. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.