Last voyage for Costa Concordia cruise ship

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

They'd be just the hirelings though, wouldn't they ? Applicant needs to be able to maintain a thin veneer of plausibility and exhibit "talking head" skills.

2. Gian Milan

Gian Milan Previous Member

Is not to be excluded, but Costa Cruises is English for several years.

Mafia also makes business more profitable that Cruises (eg dealing with waste).
    Also I do not think that Mafia would allow someone to treat them ship so foolishly ....
    Any case, If Schettino will disappear, we will have a full answer .

3. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress. ~Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar, Following the Equator, 1897

4. Gian Milan

Gian Milan Previous Member

5. Arch99

Arch99 New Member

could one of the real captains here go back to BHere post #444? The video of Concordia course showing it curving north out to sea after the collision with the island, then looping around and winding up along the shore--looks to me like a ship totally out of control. What would cause that kind of movement?

Certainly seems to me like it refutes any idea of Captain heroically bringing ship near the Giglio port, it does not look like any kind of controlled maneuver. Was the ship just drifting with current by then? The Captain seems to have been too busy entertaining his guest and ordering dinner to have ordered some complex event with the anchors.

Every day this gets more curious. Thanks to the posters here for making this the most informative news site I have found. I like to understand how things work, and this group has the best answers.

6. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Now his *** is on the line.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jolly Amaranto

Jolly Amaranto Junior Member

At slow speed these ships can move in any direction. In the bow, there are two or three propellers mounted in tunnel like ducts with openings on both sides of the hull. They are powered by electric motors and can provide thrust either to port or starboard to move the bow in either direction. The two main props at the stern are also electrically powered and mounted on pods that can rotate 360 degrees to provide thrust in any direction. No need for rudders. The crew basically dock themselves in port and a tug is only present on stand by for any emergency. It looks to me that the ship may have been turned sideways to parallel the shore and then nudged in sideways to ground it. It is hard to understand how this maneuver may have caused the unintended rolling over.

8. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

A ship can roll onto it's side if it takes on suffcient water while it's grounded on an uneven bottom. The reports are that the Costa Concordia is grounded on a very uneven bottom.

Simple example: Take a boat and position it with one side just resting on a large rock. Cut a hole in the bottom so the boat floods. The boat will settle into the water and then roll onto the side which isn't supported by the rock.

9. Yobarnacle

I thought an earlier post established Costa Concordia had conventional props and rudders. I'm sure she had tunnel thrusters and possibly drop down thrusters, but not azmuthing pods. Where did I see that?

10. Jolly Amaranto

Jolly Amaranto Junior Member

This photo shows the control panel on the port flying bridge. It is used for docking the ship. On the right side of the photo, or bottom of the console you can see two gauges that show the orientation of the main propulsion screws. You can see one of the pod trust control levers to the right of (or "below") the gauge. There is another one not shown in the photo. In the middle are three banks of identical gauges and buttons used to control and monitor the three bow thrusters. The various levers are used to select the direction of the bow thrusters and the amount of thrust.
    [​IMG]

11. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

12. Yobarnacle

Concordia was proceeding at better than 14 kts when she struck at time 20:44 at Lat 42. 21.40.
    Imediately her speed begins to diminish. This is correct procedure when something unknown happens, Disengage engines. Speed continually diminishes untill she stops. Then she bow thrusts 180 degrees around and drifts at 7 tenths of a knot toward shore till she goes aground. Could be wind, or current or thrusters.
    Seems plain with the data boxes and times on track.

13. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

14. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Don't know where you've seen that but it seems to be right.

At Costa Cruise ‘‘all our ships’’ the Concordia has gone . . :eek:

The very limited 'spec' pics of all Costa Concordia's sisters show conventional shafts + props and rudders, and three bow thrusters shown on Costa Favolosa's plan. None of them has azimuths drafted the shown plans.

Costa Concordia sisters: Costa Favolosa - Costa Serena - Costa Pacifica - Costa Fascinosa - Carnival Splendor - last two give no specs at all . . :eek:

Cheers,
    Angel

15. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

I guess Costa Concordia and all her sisters have three bow thrusters as shown in Costa Favolosa's 'specs'.

[​IMG]

Here you can see them on Costa Fascinosa . . . . you might have to blow it up to 400% to see them.

Cheers,
    Angel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.