Lapstrake or carvel planking for small home-made?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rstevens, Jan 28, 2007.

1. rstevens

rstevens New Member

Bit of history first - I know nothing about boat building. I have the frame of a small boat that has been sitting in my shed since I bought the house about 5 years ago. It's only about 12 foot long but seems to be in really good condition.

I want to put some sides on it and get it in the water as a small paddle boat - more for fun than anything practical. I have access a large amount of materials as I am a carpenter.

What timber should I use and what method of planking? I have heard about lapstrake and carvel planking from a mate, but am unsure of the advantages of both? And how do I get the timber to bend and follow the shape of the frame around the hull area?

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

A picture of the framing would go a long way in determining what kind of planking to use...or even if it is suitable to paddle or row or sail or motor or pole or Yuloh or...hint hint. :)

Steve

3. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Funny link "Like watersports?" :)
    Seems like some of the surfers have flotation in their chest?

Please add a picture of the frames, it sounds like an interesting project.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

As a rule, carvel is much easier to do for the amateur builder, then traditional lapstrake, though some of the modern versions of lap can accommodate the back yard builder to some degree.

Most craft this size are intended to be light weight, which typically means lap (the lighter method), but it could be designed for carvel. Without knowing what you have, it's pure speculation beyond this.

Photos may be helpful, but not likely, unless the frames (or molds) are spaced and erected properly, to provide a fair idea of general shape. Even then, it would be quite difficult to determine the actual design type, unless it had some specific element(s) to make it stick out in a crowd. An example would be the Sea Bright Skiff. The distinctive built down aft garboards, on these boats make the framing very recognizable. On the other hand it would be very difficult to tell the difference between a set of frames for a small 12' Whitehall and 12' Lawley or Lawton tenders. A skilled eye would see the stem and transom differences, but most would just think them pretty, possibly related, without being able to qualify.

Show us what you have, I have quite a large data base and experience to draw from, as well do many others here. One of us may recognize her.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.