LAMINATION SCHEDULE - skin coat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by brad123, Apr 11, 2004.

1. brad123

brad123 Junior Member

After the gelcoat is sprayed - how many skin coats? 1 0R 2? Will print show if just one skin coat on 3/4 oz mat is layed in? Thanks for anything you guy's can tell me. brad

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Need more specifics:
    *gelcoat thickness
    *gelcoat formulation
    *laminate schedule
    *core type
    *laminate resin type
    *resin to glass ratio

3. Buckle

Buckle Composite Engineer

What I'd got tought

When I was a wee kid, I was tought always double your first tissue layer up to be extra safe and to avoid print especially if your using a 0/90 or something much heavier afterwards.

The cost of tissue is pence considering the cost of a f*** up.

Its not the most sciencetic of approaches but it works. If not make a small trial laminate first. I would to be safe.

Buckle

4. Misogynist

Misogynist Junior Member

Other than "print through" which is cosmetic... are there any other structural problems when "print through" happens?.... So many of the new offshore boats today have the entire hull painted. One new manufacturer doesn't use gel coat at all... just epoxy ... and then covers the entire boat with "bondo"... sands and paints... Do any of you guys with more experience know of any problems building a boat this way?.. any imput would be appreciated. Thanks.

5. Buckle

Buckle Composite Engineer

One reason why larger boats are manufactured without gelcoat is because of the manufacturing limitation - i.e. especially when laminated by hand, there is are restrictions what laminators can lay up etc.

Secondarly, it depends on the quality of the mould. Why invest labour in a mould for a one off - its more economical to spray the hull.

As to your question, I believe there are not structural problems induced into the moulding, when print-through occurs. Just the fact it looks naff.

Hope this helps

6. RealityBoatCo

RealityBoatCo Junior Member

Here's what I use:
    3/4 oz mat then 1 and 1/2 oz mat and cloth, then 1 and 1/2 oz mat, coremat, 1 and 1/2 oz mat and cloth. then 1 and 1/2 oz mat, balsa and 1 and 1/2 oz mat and then either woven roving or 1708 bi axial fabric. :)

7. Misogynist

Misogynist Junior Member

So... are you saying that for "one ofs" ,that the laminations can be layed over a plug....with smooth mat on top, and then gelcoated over the top... then the plug removed from underneath?

8. Boris Vukusic

Boris Vukusic Junior Member

after spraying gelcoat I laminate 100g/m2 mat, 2 time 450g/m2 mat or 1time mat 450g/m2 than coremat 2 or 3 o 5mm depends of how tick laminated hull must be (how long boat is),after coremat 1 mat 450g/m2 than rowing .......etc
    but it is very important DO NOT PUT MORE THAN ONE LAMINATE PER DAY! ALSO GELCOAT MUST BE SPRAYED 2 TIMES 0,3MM (2 HOURS BETWEEN) DO NOT HURRY, THAN YOU WILL NOT HAVE PRINT PROBLEMS