Killer whales launch ‘orchestrated’ attacks on sailing boats

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Tiny Turnip, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

2. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

why would they attack boats on porpoise like that

3. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

Imagine if humpbacks and sperm whales start doing it. There would be a lot of sunken boats

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Sperm whales do indeed attack boats, but having an Orca repeatedly attacking a boat, would be more than enough to put the wind up most people. Frightening !

5. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

My guess is that there is a bad frequency/resonance/spirit the sailboat is putting out

6. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

8. A II

A II no senior member → youtu.be/oNjQXmoxiQ8 → I wish

Alas not so unusual, the examples below all sank, and had survivors to tell the tale...

1820 - Essex (whaleship), southern Pacific Ocean.

1851 - Ann Alexander (ship), south Pacific Ocean.

1972 - Lucette (43' schooner yacht), south Pacific Ocean, 200 miles west of the Galapagos Islands, same incident Dougal Robertson and family.
    great survival at sea story

2012 - 50' sailboat, north Pacific Ocean, off Mexico.

2017 - Destiny of Scarborough (15 m sailboat), north Atlantic Ocean, 300 miles off the Azores.

2018 - 8 metre boat, south Pacific Ocean, between Hervey Bay and Fraser Island, Qld, Oz.

Plus the ones not linked here, and probably also plus some of the ones never heard of again without know reason.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  9. A II

It's all over the Spanish news: Las orcas atacan a los veleros (Killer whales attack sailboats)

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Thanks Angelique, as a search engine you are better than Google. Apparently it is not about attacks on fishermen but about a specific act with a racing sailboat. The news is given in an entertainment program that usually says many things to entertain, although they do not have much journalistic rigor. I insist, I have not seen that news in any of the national media. But hey, there is no doubt that the "attack" has occurred. Let's hope the killer whales don't rebel against humanity.
    A little over the top, right?

11. A II

In post #9 I've provided a link that leads to many Spanish media that cover this topic, but don't worry, it's not illegal to proclaim an opinion (1) that's contrary to proven facts (1).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  12. A II

13. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You are very right.

14. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

There is a distinct difference between colliding with a whale, and being attacked by one, and I've certainly never heard of Orca attacking boats.

15. A II

Quote from the first of the two 1972 links in post #8:

‘‘ . . . On 15 June 1972, Lucette was holed by a pod of killer whales and sank approximately 200 miles west of the Galapagos Islands. . . . ’’

This was an attack by a pod of killer whales on a 43' schooner yacht that sank it, not just a collision with an individual...

— Survive the Savage Sea – Good ReadsAmazon

‘‘ In June 1972, the 43' schooner Lucette was attacked by killer whales and sank in 60 seconds. What happened next is almost incredible. In an inflatable rubber raft, with a 10' solid dinghy to tow it, Dougal Robertson and his family were miles from any shipping lanes. They had emergency rations for only three days and no maps, compass, or instruments of any kind. After their raft sank under them, they crammed themselves into their tiny dinghy. For 38 days — using every technique of survival — they battled against 20' waves, marauding sharks, thirst, starvation, and exhaustion, adrift in the vast reaches of the Pacific before their ordeal was ended by a Japanese fishing boat. The Robertsons' strong determination shines through the pages of this extraordinary book which describes movingly their daily hopes and fears, crises and triumphs, tensions and heartbreaks. ’’

[​IMG]

— Last Voyage of the LucetteGood ReadsAmazon

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.