Kerosene Generator..How To?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Yobarnacle, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Haven't seen any specifically "diesel", but below is description of a "kerosene" model. The Aladin Lamp burner could be retrofited to burn diesel I think.
    Servel RK400 kerosene powered refrigerator

Kereosene powered refrigerators need their wicks adjusted weekly and their exhaust flues cleaned regularly because of soot build-up from the relatively dirty fuel. Kerosene refrigerator manufacturers do not make their own wick-type burners. Aladdin® supplies all of their kerosene burners, so replacement parts are readily available. Model number is on the side of the burner or on the knob. Replacement parts are available directly from AladdinLamps.com The Servel/Dometic RK400 kerosine refrigerator uses a full brass #23 Aladdin Burner, which interchanges parts with almost all other Aladdin burners except the #32. The #23 wick burns for approximately 1,200 hours (50 days), so you need eight for a full year of 24/7 operation. We suggest also getting one spare flame spreader, 67/40 flue, and a wick raiser to make it easier when cleaning (you can simply exchange them). Always having an extra/spare burner assembly on hand would be wise in a remote location. The burner assembly and 67/40 (40mm tall) #23 burner flues are not that easy to break, but you never know. All other parts will last for many years. It is not unusual to get twenty years out of an Aladdin burner with proper care and handling.

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/lanternstove.htm

Multi Fuel Petromax Lantern

(OURS ARE NOT THE FAKE KNOCK OFFS - THESE ARE THE REAL DEAL MULTI-FUEL LANTERNS. BE CAREFUL OF OTHERS, These are rated Safest in Consumer Reports!)
    Nickel #500CP No Reflector (5 lbs)
    400 Watts of light, 500 Candle Power
    8-12 Hours burn time Per Tank full (quart) of Kerosene.
    New Protection Plate and Instructional Video included.
    16" Tall x 6-3/4" Wide at base, Reflector Diameter: 13-3/4" Diameter
    See Pricing Below
    "PETROMAX" lanterns were designed and developed by Adolf & Max Graetz, who were appointed managing directors of their family business (Ehrich & Graetz) in 1889. From their efforts arose the most powerful & reliable lanterns in the world. These lanterns now have the distinction of being the safest lantern in the world by "Consumer Reports". Petromax lanterns run on a variety of fuels - kerosene, alcohol-based fuels, mineral spirits, citronella oil, gasoline, diesel oil, vegetable oil & almost every flammable fuel available on the market which make this lantern #1 for Emergency Preparedness.

Available in Polished Brass - Picture

Attached Files:

2. Yobarnacle

3. Yobarnacle

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

5. Yobarnacle

Thanks a million Hoyt. My search engines didn't turn that link up. Course my problem is I'm in Mexico. Siempre my searches look for mexican sites unless I look whole world, which I do, then I get 99,000 links. If what I'm looking for isn't on 1st three pages of links, I search again with different parameters. Thanks again!

6. hoytedow

De nada, Amigo!

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Kerosene and Diesel#1 are the same

8. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Thanks, Yo. I had seen the kerosene, but never diesel (#2) and thought I may had missed something.

9. hoytedow

10. Yobarnacle

I'd always heard kerosene was No# 1 diesel.

Gonzo, do you think no# 2 diesel would work in a kerosene fridge/freezer without modifying the burner?

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is likely to smoke and not burn properly because the viscosity and flash point are higher.

12. Petros

Petros Senior Member

lowering the compression ratio to be able to run kero or Diesel in a spark ignition engine means you will lower the efficiency. You will burn more fuel for the same amount of power output. And likely your heavy maintenance will go up, requiring more frequent overhauls, and possible damage over long run (reduced engine life). Not really economical.

If it were me I would go all Diesel, and use a proper diesel generator.

You might consider going all propane, which is much cheaper than either gasoline or diesel (and I suspect kero too). You can get (or covert) most motors/generators to run on it, and you can get lamps, heaters and refrigerators to run on it. It is stored in liquid form at low pressures, but quickly vaporizes at room temp so will not leave a spill, makes a very clean flame (no maintenance on all appliances run on propane unlike diesel or kero). It is available all over USA and Canada anyway, but can not say in other parts of the world.

13. Yobarnacle

thats why I posted the BRYTELYT link. I believe converting the burner wouldn't be TOO difficult and using the BRYTELYT for cabin heat and cook burners, and one lantern suspended from spars for cockpit dining, means plenty of universal spares aboard.

14. Yobarnacle

I dislike all LPG for same reasons I dislike gasoline aboard. With care and detection devices, and proper ventilation, they both can be used
    'safely'. Diesel and kerosene are inherently more 'safe'.

15. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Maybe you could retrofit a real diesel #2 burner into the kerosene fridge?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.