Keel, bulb and rudder design

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ivansalasj, Feb 3, 2005.

1. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Hi,

I have been asked to carry out the preliminary design for a fast cruising sloop as part of my course in Naval Architecture. I am now designing the keel + bulb and rudder for the yacht hull i have designed. Some of the main dimensions of the hull are:

Displacement 81350.755 kg
    Draft canoe 1.3 m
    Lwl 25.555 m
    Beam wl 6.116 m
    WSA 149.571 m^2
    Max cross sect area 6.361 m^2
    Waterplane area 112.405 m^2

Can anybody suggest me what is the best approach towards designing the keel + bulb and rudder, i.e. areas, position, section (naca?), weight of the bulb, etc...

Thanks,
    Ivan

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

keel etc

Get Larsson and Eliassons book: "Princibles of Yacht Design" . What kind of course material are you given?

3. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

I have the book with me indeed, brilliant book. Course material? you mean requirements? I would like a bit more advice in such things as the weight of the bulb and the area of the keel,i.e. what percentage of the sail area do people think is better to have as the keel area, and how much percentage of the overall weight should i allow the bulb to carry (45% maybe).

Same with the rudder.

Also i am now working on the midships structural arrangements and if anybody can suggest a good route to take to ensure good results i will be pleased to know. I am thinking of following the ABS offshore racing rules but not to sure yet.

Thanks

4. water addict

water addict Naval Architect

Weight keel weight and area are discussed in the book, as is rudder area.

ABS is pretty good, it's also distilled into concise form in Larsson & Eliasson.

5. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

Ivan, Why not round off the displacement to Kgs. without the decimal point? If a bird comes by and leaves you a gift it will change your figures.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005

6. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Just the answeras from the hydrostatics, quite a big gift the bird has to give me!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.