keel and rudder

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Minthihakyaw, May 22, 2015.

1. Minthihakyaw

Minthihakyaw Junior Member

I am a student studying naval architecture. Now i have a project,design of sailing yacht. But I don't know how to design the keel and rudder. My yacht has about length of 28 m.
    Is there any rule for keel and rudder?
    and i want to to know how to position them and what formulae should i be used. sorry for my little knowledge and poor eng.Plz guide me.
    With best wishes

2. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

There are many rules for keel and rudder design and they depend on all the other dimensions of the boat. As a student I am sure you have many books to guide you. My favorite is "Princicals of Yacht Design" by Larson & Eliasson. Many amateurs get by with proportions, simple estimates, and proven profiles, but for college credit I think you are going to want to do the actual 3 dimensional force diagram and show that heel and leeway are not excessive and the boat has mild weather helm and plenty of rudder lift before stall for control and maneuverability.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.