K800

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Schoonner, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Well, I know what happened. I was supposed to be using 1mm x 2mm wood stringers not 1mm x 3mm

So, for notation sake, in my next model I should either cut the wood to size, or buy 1mm x 2mm wood pieces.

BTW, I think I have come up with a machine for cutting wood strips by pressing on a lever. It will have interchangeable blades and if I can get a tap, will be adjustable for different thicknesses of wood to chomp. kinda like an old school paper cutter with a long blade, but it will bite from the side and cut multiple pieces to an exact angle in one cut. Should be pretty cool!!

2. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Yes. Gorilla Glue is 100% waterproof. It passes ANSI/HPVA HP-1-2000 Types 1 and 2.

(Whatever that means)

3. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Nice to take a break from doing something directly to the model. I bought some gorilla glue because the guy at the hobby store told me to. I know, usually bad idea right? Well maybe not in this case. I've never used it before and it turns into the most wonderful foam I've seen from something that costs so little. It supposedly is waterproof, sandable, and, here's the kicker, it's paintable too. =0)

What if I turned the model into a thin chunk of foam lined by the shrink to fit stuff and cut/ sanded away the insides of the boat to a pre-determined hull thickness?

EDIT:: I mean to cut the weight of the wooden beams. Maybe it won't make a difference though because the

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Gorilla Glue is fine for boats. i used it for a 16 foot canoe - wood strip, and its great.

The ideal model hull material is hi-density foam, but its expensive. paper is equivalent to plywood.

5. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Thanks!! :D

HEY!! I HAVe high density foam! I think I'll make the deck out of it. =0) I really did want to make the model as close to realistic as plausible with a frame and strakes and plywood like material. I just got some more junk mail, so I think I'll be making some tiny plywood pieces. =0)

6. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

OH WOW! I KNOW this can't be "luck"!!!! I just went and got the piece of high density foam I had lying in my bedroom collecting dust and it is EXACTLY the right size. No KIDDING!! Really!?!

I maybe God happens to have a plan for my little model KAV800.

Yeah, so I have proven that I can make a 1:240th scale wooden frame. Now on to a little faster method of making models =0)

7. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

8. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

This is easy, and probably boring for you all so, I won't post lots of it.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EDIT:: it is turning out better than the framed model. I'm seeing how inferior the first model was now. Also, it is getting lighter, not heavier, and I think that it will actually need the full amount of bulb keel. =0)

9. Perm Stress

Perm Stress Senior Member

Once the paper is waterproofed it is terribly heavy.
    At the scale we have here, waterproofing, easily can DOUBLE the weight of paper (Experiences I will not try to repeat).
    And, if the waterproofed paper DO catch water trough some pinhole or filtration, it is next to impossible to dry it out, because it is waterproofed. :)

10. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

If you want to make things easier on yourself, take a piece of stiff paper and wrap it around the piece you are working with so that the corners match up on the same exact horrizontal line. (It helps if you can overlap the pieces and just line the same edge up with itself on both sides of the edge of paper. so that it makes a perfect circle around the piece you are working with. Then tape it, and slide it up and down the piece to make your marks with.

[​IMG]

11. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to make the hull at 1:240th scale.
    I think I've decided on doing a 1:120th scale model out of the foam. I will be making it modular. (In sections that will fit together like a puzzle.) I found that gorilla glue bonds to this foam like crazy. I don't know that it is safe for all foam, so test it will a tiny amount of glue to see if there is a reaction.

12. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Scratch that, It's not going to be modular.

EDIT:: I have cut all the pieces I need to cut and have glued them together. to make the height and thickness I will need to carve her from a solid mass. she is light, but huge! well, huge in my travel trailer anyways. I cut the foam 15 mm high, more than 20 mm thick, and 80 mm long. She will be twice as big as the other model. =0) I have cans stacked on top of the pieces that I glued already, and soon will have more like them. For some reason I'm not dreading the challenge as much as I used to.

(I used to be highly intimidated by sailboats and how they worked. Not so much anymore!! =0)

13. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I found out that 18 and early 1900's shipwrights had half or even quarter scale models to look at and take apart to look at the insides to make sure they were doing things according to the plans. =0) Is that cool or what!?! Get to play with a little one while you play with a BIG one. LOL!

14. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Cool! I used a very small amount of gorilla glue and smeared it around on the foam. Now it is like one piece of foam and stuck VERY well =0) I can't make it move at all =0)

[​IMG]

It is making a small wall in my living room higher than my coffee table with foam stacked together and cans of food stacked on top of it.

15. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

If all goes well, I'll soon have the biggest RC boat on the lake... err pond. Well, except for the one that is sitting on the bottom... but techincally, that's not ON the pond, now it is. LOL!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.