Just an idea

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by gulfcoast crabb, Dec 31, 2004.

1. gulfcoast crabb

gulfcoast crabb Junior Member

I see that there are alot of very bright minds here at this site and just though I would get some opinions on this idea. I'm a college student/ comm. fisherman who is looking for the cheapest way to build a flat bottomed boat 24x 8 bottom. simular to a large carolina skiff. what do you guys think about using regular 4x8 plywood say 1/4" for the bottom and 1/8 for the sides. butting them together glassing the joints, then fitting it up around some simple ribs and glassing the entire boat. a friend of mine just finished a small 15' skiff from ripped 1x4 ribs and 1/8 " plywood sheeting from home depot then coated it with fiberglass mat inside and out and gel coated it. not the prettiest boat but it worked. I was just wondering if it would work on a bigger scale. anyone have an idea how much resin/ mat it would take to glass a 24x 8 boat with 2' sides. and how much it would weigh. Would it hold up to being powered by a 115-150 outboard, and carry loads up to say 2500 lbs? could a boat made of regular cheap plywood and coated with fiberglass last 8 or 9 months sitting in the water?, I'm really not concerned with it lasting longer than that, just long enough to make a fishing season. Thanks in advance for any help. and i'm sorry if it sounds a little out there

2. yipster

yipster designer

a quik first reaction: did you check the stich and gleu method? sizewise its possible, usually the materials needed are listed and priced, as is power and more. and after all the work you may even end up with a nice boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.