Jons boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by petie, Oct 14, 2010.

1. petie

petie New Member

My boy and me are going to be building Jons boat pretty soon. The plans call for 1/2" and 1/4" plywood. I figured the weight difference which is only about 75 lbs if I use all 3/4". The reason I wanted to use all 3/4 is because we plan on bowfishing out of it and we get into some pretty rough stuff rock,stick ups etc. It will be launched and always carried on a trailer. Does any one see any reason other than weight not to use 3/4?

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Good luck bending that. Use what the designer spec'd out. 1/2" is plenty tough enough unless you like to ram onto sharp rocks at 20 mph on a frequent basis. Most designers are a little optimistic about weight and most (85-90%) come out over the specified weight even when built and rigged per the design. Adding an additional 75+ lbs may put the boat over the max weight with what you wish to carry along and would require you to leave some of your gear or use an overladen boat...just as dangerous as bashing a hole in it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.