John Spencer's designs

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Milan, May 20, 2005.

1. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

2. Bosun Bird

Bosun Bird Junior Member

Hi CT 249/ Chris

Yep, that's right we bought Lollipop. Thank you for the information you provided. It's funny she was once a social sailer on Sydney Harbour because the lads at the BB marina keep telling me how fast she was when she was a regular racer in BB. I'm afraid her racing days are up... we're more interested in pleasant day sailing and short coastal trips so she's getting prettied up inside and out and a new roller furler installed. I think she's a very well designed boat and as you say, very forgiving but also no slouch once she hits her groove.

I will try to track down the articles you mentioned in MB.... with luck the National Library might have them. Thank you again.

Fair sailing!

3. craig69

craig69 New Member

4. Ramona

Ramona Senior Member

Chris I think we may have met a few years ago. There was a Serendipity holed up in Greenwell Point for a few days on her way from Batemens Bay to Sydney. It had an Etchells rig and a piece of ply over one cabin window. I gave the owner a bit of a hand with the battery. Next morning as I came home from work I met this Serendipity at the entrance as the sails were hoisted, the Etchells rig looked particularly good.

In my home town in South Australia there was a Serendipity used by a professional fisherman as a fishing boat in the Whiting handlining sector. The Whiting were just kept in eskies. Always a pleasant sight watching him sail home in the afternoons.

5. Bosun Bird

Bosun Bird Junior Member

Serendipity indeed!

Hi Craig 69

Thanks for the stories about serendipity and Serendipities!

Bosun Bird

6. Gandalf57

Gandalf57 New Member

Milan, if you are still interested in John's designs I have a number of Sea Spray articles and quite a few pictures of his boats.
    I can scan and email these to you if you like.

7. Kanfish

Kanfish Kansai Fishing Company

You might find a good source of information re Spencer from Bev Davidson.
    Bev was a staffer at Sea Spray magazine for a number of years when John Malitte was editor and I think interviewed John Spencer for various articles she wrote for the magazine.
    Spencer had a few designs in 12' skiffs too ie; Bondi Tram and a couple of others I think too. Axalottly or something like that??
    Bev would be contactable via www.sparklingacreas.co.nz ( an Appaloosa Breeding Stud that she and my eldest daughter, Petra, operate ) in the Whangaripo Valley district of Wellsford, Northland.

Kanfish

1 person likes this.
  8. Bosun Bird

Bosun Bird Junior Member

9. Gav501

Gav501 New Member

John Spencer Plans

I have an origional set of plans for a Spencer Adrian 24'6 keeler that i got when i purchased my boat. They are hand written and signed by John Spencer and look to be a complete set. I would like some indication of the value of the plans if someone can help me with that.. Thanks..

http://worldboatauctions.com

10. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

11. Bosun Bird

Bosun Bird Junior Member

John Spencer Interview

Fascinating reading...thanks for sharing Tad.

12. Bosun Bird

Bosun Bird Junior Member

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===========
    Thanks, Tad!

14. old salt

old salt New Member

John Spencer Plans

I used to own a very nice round bilge Spencer 26 keel yacht and search for info, plans etc. Peter Tait has all of the Spencer boat plans and is very helpful in selling copies to interested people at a reasonable price. It certainly helped with the restoration work I had to do.:)

15. rouseabout

rouseabout New Member

Hi all, I am a new member to this forum and own a Spencer 30 built in Adelaide out of the John Rochford mould. I think there is a bit of confusion in the post above in that the Spencer 28 and the Spencer 30 are very different. The Rouseabout mentioned is my Spencer 30, she did lots of long distance racing in the 70's. I have attached (I hope!) a Sea Spray article. What I would love to get hold of is a line drawing, any help would be appreciated

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.