Jet Boat Restore: moral support needed.

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by spoolin'up, Jul 11, 2005.

1. spoolin'up

spoolin'up New Member

Hello, I'm new to this forum and just wanted introduce myself and ask a few questions. A few years ago I picked up a 'project' jet boat for next to nothing. 455 olds/berkley pump in a 19' high sides hull. I knew the motor needed rebuilding, but I thought I might get away with just doing that and then be able to run it for a while. I ran it once and figured out the pump needed to be rebuilt as well. No biggie, I planned on painting it eventually anyway. Removed the motor, the pump, .... everything else, and now I have just a glass shell and a pile of parts. I've already replaced a section of the transom, and now I plan to do a bit more structural reinforcement before barrier coating the whole thing, painting it, and putting it back together. I have no delusions of ever getting my money back out of this thing, but here's my question: If I actually put the time into it to get this thing back in the water, is it going to be structurally sound? How long does fiberglass last for? (The boat is a '73.) I've been using west system epoxy and fillers. The transom repair went well, and it's solid as a rock now.
    I kind of feel like I've bit off more than I can chew, but I can't give up either. Anyone else have a project like this? It it worth it or should I cut my losses?
    I can post some pictures if anyone's interested.
    I see this forum is kind of more for building boats from scratch, are there other forums that are more focused on restorations?

2. spoolin'up

spoolin'up New Member

Tough crowd...

3. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

Yeah, there is a restoration forum..I think in the POWERBOATS heading. Anyway, it sounds like a cool project. I'd get the motor and pump rebuilt first and put them aside. Getting that part of the project done first will give you a confindence boost (and allow you to recoup some money if you need to sell them in a hurry). Theres tonnes of advice in these forums on fiberglass repair, and getting a book on fiberglass boat repair, or boatbuilding in fiberglass will show you what your aiming for (theres lots of books like this). I've seen fatigue curves for various composite (fiberglass type) materials and (depending on what kind of abuse the boat has seen since '73) you're probably not too bad off. Especially if you haven't noticed any areas where there is an obvious failure, cracks, alignment problems..etc..

4. yipster

yipster designer

you have my moral support, transom ok, you checked backbones etc i guess so why not, finish the job and yes show some pics

5. Toofast

Toofast New Member

I'm considering doing the same thing with a Taylor SJ. Except this boat is pretty much gutted out already, no engine or anything as far as I know. I've never restored a boat before and have always wanted a Taylor jetboat, I'm probably in way over my head but it should be fun. I'm only twenty five so I guess I'm to young to know better. LOL.

6. wowchad

wowchad Custom cables TEWCO.COM

Anyone looking for jet boat help should check out this web site. These people are extremly friendly and helpful. banderlog jet boat board

7. maxwell

maxwell redneck

You know what dude i know how you feel, when i was 17 i started a 4x4 truck project it was going to be the badest *** chick magnet ever. I got a good start built the motor, lift, trans, the air tank/ bumper, and hours of body work. And then........ i got a girlfreind!!! The years to come held dating, making out, a wedding, an impregnation. I started to think I wouldent finish my truck until my unborne son's 16th birthday and then I got my tax return. Before i knew it i was spashing though the mud in my Grabber Blue Beast all it took was a little bit a dough and a burst of motavation. Dont worry man and never sell it. It was once A Grand Dream Im sure let it become the Grand reality it should be.

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Spoolin'... sorry we took so long to get back to you here, things can be that way at times.

As long as the boat hasn't had the sh*t beaten out of it, fibreglass is more or less forever. The wood inside it is a different story, and once you get that all cleaned up and rebuilt the hull should be good for a few more decades. It's worth it for the satisfaction alone when you get it done. Photos = good. More details = good. Do enjoy yourself with this project; you're not dealing with any cranky computerized motor and so the rebuild should go well if you're meticulous and patient. It will be quite a lot of work, and you will have a helluva nice boat at the end. (quick calculation: 455 olds + berk pump in 19' boat = goes like a bat outta hell.)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.