Jarcat 6 verions, modifications etc.

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by waterbear, Jun 28, 2019.

1. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Well you say that. When I saw the waller TC750 years ago I made some enquiries and I can not see how that boat is trailerable in Queensland. I keep reading on forums like this that these permits exist but when I talk to the transport people and read their websites I can see no path for a light vehicle to tow something that wide. It is all built around heavy vehicle permits. Over 4.5 ton.

I have not looked closely at Victoria because I'd never be interested in sailing down there. I live in south east queensland and have family in nsw so that is my area of interest.

Queensland has a special allowance for loads to 2.9 meters, 9'6". No permit required, just a oversize sign and flags, lights at night. Over 9'6" you are into wide load. I'd love someone to show me something official that says you can tow a wide load behind a light vehicle in Queensland or NSW.

The waterline beam is 600mm on a 7 meter waterline so a bit better than 10:1. It wouldn't be "fast" but it'd sail ok. There are many considerations, prismatic coefficient, rocker, bridgedeck clearance. I got it to meet all the conventional benchmarks and the accommodations ergonomics everything fell nicely into place. It seems to be a sweet spot for sizing a cat. Everything just worked out really nicely. I think the payload was a ton or so.

I wouldn't be towing up north. I was born up there. God's country but wild as. Mind there are plenty of terrifying drivers in the south of the state. Nothing puts fear into the hearts of southerners like a queensland licence plate...

2. oldmulti

oldmulti Senior Member

Guzzi3. Attached are some NSW and Victorian documents from the road authorities that basically say, if its under 3.5 meters wide and 12 meters long and has the appropriate flags and signs and is being towed in daylight hours in most of NSW and Victoria by a light vehicle (read 4 wheel drive). No pilot cars etc are required. The word document is a copy of a chrome doc on a victorian web site. It requires simple permits which can be annual. I agree its still a pain to tow but but it is possible.

Attached Files:

3. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Thank you very much for that. I looked for documents like that for ages.

I am an engineer not a lawyer but it looks like those are the nsw and victoria equivalent to our queensland oversize regs, which limit the boat to 2.9 meters.

Attached Files: