Is this still considered an RIB?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kach22i, Oct 2, 2007.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Bizarre! And the obvious question is why...

Whether it's still a RIB is open to debate. That it's a touch on the ugly side is not!!

3. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

This one is "sort of" the same thing – only much, much nicer. And this, I _still_ don't know if I'd call a RIB, but I think it looks rather nice (for the right applications, that is) 36 ft, 3400kg. If only the top was aluminium:

From www.ocke.se

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. raw

raw Senior Member

Pretty obvious really.

The tube has been used as a former (read mould) to make a seating for the cabin structure. The tube is only partially glassed over (and would likely have a release film/agent on it) as evidenced by the flange former on the fitted temperarily to the top of the tube. Thus the tubes do not support the cabin structure when all is said and done.

Nothing bizarre or strange about it at all.

5. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Things are only obvious, if you know you what to look for …

6. Willallison

I wasn't referring to the process, rather the end result.

7. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Oh, I see.

8. raw

raw Senior Member

Then why quote "Looks like they just glassed over the RIB tube! " from the original post.

I might seem flippant, but that is a pretty obvious method of adding a cabin structure for anybody with any real experience in fibreglass design and manufacturing.

9. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Hang on - so "real experience" with fibreglassing involves glassing over flexible membranes or am I missing something here?
    Are we talking how the cabin is laid into the boat with the small "bezel" around it, or the fibreglassing of the tubes? I'm somewhat confused right now (it's morning and I have been working all night, so bear with me, please).

10. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Oh, well - nvm. it isn't really important - this would be better suited for a chatroom. ignore my questions.

11. raw

raw Senior Member

By glassing over the flexible tube a perfectly fitting seat is formed to which internal gussets, bulkheads and other structure can be rigidly attached to the rigid main hull. The tubes do not support the cabin and thus would be removeable.

Make sense?

12. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

UGLY - and ....

The top boat, (and I say that with disrespect ) is a major ugly duckling ... very Ugly, Also what is purpose of tubes.
    Extra flotation? The thing looks like CG is wrong. If it is meant as a boat for rough seas, true it may not sink. But it will capsize and then not right itself.

Plant a flag on bottom, make it easier to spot, so Coast Guard can recover corpses trapped inside....

13. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I kind of took "RAW's" comments out of context when I first read them, but on further inspection of the photos I see the fiberglass is on the inside curve only.

They must of painted or coated the outside (of the tube) with a new finish because I mistook it for all being glassed over.

This picture shows that its the inside and top of the curve.
    [​IMG]

14. Willallison

Geez Raw - what side of the bed did you got out of this morning....?
    You're right though - on reading my post, it does appear that I was referring to the glassing over of the tubes.... apologies for the confusion. I do think it's a somewhat unsual manner of forming the FRP work, but beyond that can see no real problem with it. Quite clever really.... perhaps if they'd been as smart as you, they could've made it a bit better looking too!
    (I didn't get much sleep last night either...)

15. Ike

Ike Senior Member

The answer to your question is No. When I worked in the Coast Guard Office of Boating Safety we got queries about boats like that occasionally and our answer was no, it's not a rib because it does not depend on inflation for buoyancy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.