Is the ocean broken?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Ocean acidification may make some species glow brighter
    • Bioluminescence has evolved more than 90 times in different species
    • Nearly 75 percent of visible critters are capable of bioluminescence
    • If fossil fuel emissions continue as they are, average ocean pH is expected to drop from 8.1 to 7.7 by 2100
    • As the pH of the ocean decreases as a result of climate change, some bioluminescent organisms might get brighter, while others dim
    • In tests of the bioluminescent chemicals, the sea pansy (Renilla reniformis) increase light production twofold
    • While the firefly squid (Watasenia scintillans) had a 70 percent decrease in light production

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

That's what people used to do in the old days before public indoc... er, schools.

3. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

Perhaps we could use a little more 'indoctrination' in schools. The lack of national unity and love of country is a problem that leads to many believing in the evils of their neighbors within their own borders. Would the fight over what to do about the climate be so vitriolic if we had more love for our fellows?

-Will (Dragonfly)

4. hoytedow

Getting the wrong indoc. now.

5. ImaginaryNumber

Someone certainly is.

6. ImaginaryNumber

The planet is dying faster than we thought
    • Three major crises are facing life on Earth: climate disruption, biodiversity decline and human overconsumption and overpopulation
    • These three crises put Earth in a more precarious position than most people realize, and could even jeopardize the human race
    • Since the start of agriculture Earth has lost an estimated 50% of its terrestrial plants and roughly 20% of its animal populations
    • The continuing loss of biodiversity will disrupt every major ecosystem on the planet
    • Natural disasters are predicted to become stronger and more frequent, resulting in 1 billion people becoming climate refugees by the year 2050
    • By 2050, population will likely grow to ~9.9 billion, which will exacerbate societal problems like food and housing insecurity, joblessness, overcrowding and inequality
    • The point of the paper isn't to scold but rather to plainly describe the threats facing our planet so that people (and hopefully political leaders) start taking them seriously and planning mitigating actions
    The paper was published in the journal Frontiers in Conservation Science

7. Will Gilmore

Does this mean there are only half the number of plant species and 4/5th the number of animal species on the plant or does this number refer to individual organisms in total? Both propositions are unbelievable. But, if you are talking about a species count, it is even less believable, since we still haven't discovered all the species on the planet and I find it impossible to imagine that the fossil record is accurate or extensive enough to claim anything close to that. We would have to have an accounting of all the species that existed at the time of the first farms and I don't believe that is possible.

I'm willing to concede, however that there has been a tremendous loss of habitat to the growth of civilization. That would lead to individual organism loss, but not necessarily to species loss. There is also, no doubt that species have been lost. My skepticism is over the reported scale. It seems unnecessarily hyperbolic.

I will point out that I am not in a position to know, only in a position to doubt. Plus, I agree with the general moral of the report. We have grown to a size and force in this world that it would be grievously shortsighted and immoral, not to pay attention and be the best stewards of our planet that we can be.

-Will (Dragonfly)

8. ImaginaryNumber

What they said is a bit ambiguous. They do have some supporting links, which I don't have time to read right now. Here is the exact quote:

"Since the start of agriculture 11,000 years ago, Earth has lost an estimated 50% of its terrestrial plants and roughly 20% of its animal biodiversity, the authors said, citing two studies, one from 2018 and the other from 2019. If current trends continue, as many as 1 million of Earth's 7 million to 10 million plant and animal species could face extinction in the near future, according to the new paper."

9. hoytedow

I had an opossum in my kitchen 2 nights ago.
    Peanut brought it in and when we corraled Peanut it made its escape.

10. ImaginaryNumber

Climate change is making baby sharks smaller, undernourished and exhausted
    • Researcher found that in warmer waters, epaulette shark embryos grew faster and used their yolk sac quicker
    • There were also born smaller, and needed to feed straight away and lacked energy
    • The epaulette shark is known for its resilience to change, even to ocean acidification
    • "So, if this species can't cope with warming waters then how will other, less tolerant species fare?"
    The study was published in the journal Scientific Reports

11. hoytedow

12. Will Gilmore

Shark is good, but it spoils fast, so it has to be fresh.

-Will (Dragonfly)

13. hoytedow

14. Will Gilmore

I stand corrected. Now I want to go to Iceland.

-Will (Dragonfly)

15. hoytedow

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.