Is the ocean broken?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Growing bananas is cheaper way to accomplish same result.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  2. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Warming oceans linked to mass starfish die-offs around the world
    • For more than seven years a mysterious wasting disease has been turning starfish into “piles of goo”
    • It's the single largest, most geographically widespread marine disease ever recorded
    • The starfish may be dying due to respiratory distress and literally “drowning” in their own environments due to higher levels of microbial activity caused by local organic matter thriving in warming oceans
    The research is published in the journal Frontiers in Microbiology

[​IMG]

3. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

O M G !

"We hypothesized that SSW is a sequela of microbial organic matter remineralization near respiratory surfaces, one consequence of which may be limited O2 availability at the animal-water interface. Microbial assemblages inhabiting tissues and at the asteroid-water interface bore signatures of copiotroph proliferation before SSW onset, followed by the appearance of putatively facultative and strictly anaerobic taxa at the time of lesion genesis and as animals died."
    upload_2021-1-17_9-8-53.png

-Will (Dragonfly)

4. ImaginaryNumber

I generally don't post quotes directly from scientific studies because ignoramuses like you and me typically don't understand the subject matter-specific jargon. It doesn't speak well to your own intelligence when you criticize others for being smarter than you, though that does seem to be a very popular pastime these days.

5. Will Gilmore

"putatively facultative"
    Do you know what this means? I do and I find it hilarious.

I particularly like the word 'putative' because it sounds, to most people, like a word they think they know, but basically says almost nothing of substance.

I was making fun of the article, yes. But I certainly don't think a large vocabulary, or lack there of, is evidence of intellect, or lack there of.

It surprises me that you do. I think you needn't take these things so to heart. Your heart is already occupied with weighty issues and I respect that. Your proclivity for remonstration through derogatory critique reduces that heart. Don't descend to the level of others.

-Will (Dragonfly)

6. ImaginaryNumber

There are many ways to test for intelligence, each method has its strengths and weaknesses. IQ tests typically include a language skills section. So, yes, a large vocabulary is one possible indicator of superior intelligence.
    <laugh>

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  7. hoytedow

The correct pronoun would be "I" in the emboldened instance in the above quotation.
    I can assure you I will never criticize you for being smarter than I am.

8. Will Gilmore

Sorry Hoyte, 'me' is correct the way IN used it. To be sure, say the same sentence without the second person.
    "I generally don't post quotes directly from scientific studies because ignoramuses like me typically don't understand the subject matter-specific jargon."

It would be real awkward sounding to use 'I'. My mother made a big deal out of these distinctions when I was growing up.

-Will (Dragonfly)

9. hoytedow

Wrong. "Me" is an objective pronoun. "I" is a subjective pronoun. Carefully dissect the sentence and you will see. It is one of the most common grammatical errors in use today.
    (...me typically don't understand the subject...)
    Example: You and me don't typically do anything but you and I do typically debate about stuff.
    Not "IN gave Yobarnacle and I a hard time but he gave Yobarnacle and me a hard time. Or "Yobarnacle and I tried to enlighten IN, not Yobarnacle and me tried to enlighten IN".
    Do you see?
    My mom was the same, drumming grammar, etc. into my headbone.

10. Will Gilmore

Ah, I see it now.
    Thanks.

-Will (Dragonfly)

11. hoytedow

Just remove "Ignoramuses like" from the sentence and it will become clear.
    "Like" in that case is not a verb but a synonym for "such as".

12. hoytedow

Misunderstandings caused by lack of linguistic ability create a lot of strife.
    Strife is also caused by understanding what is meant, so there is not much hope of avoiding strife.

13. ImaginaryNumber

English, grammar and spelling were always my hardest subjects. I'm very grateful that browsers have spell checkers. I wish they also had grammar checkers. Maybe someday they will have truth and accuracy checkers. :)

14. hoytedow

That depends upon who is doing the fact checking.
    There seems to be a lot of corruption in that occupation.

15. ImaginaryNumber

I long for the good ol' days when facts were simply determined by whomever had the most Tweets. I'm now afraid we might have to start thinking for ourselves.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.