Is the ocean broken?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

What do you think caused the colder temperatures? According to the article it's long been known that the Milankovitch cycles are too subtle to explain the large changes in climate.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I think both cooling and warming fall under the province of the Sun as controlled by God.
    You asked.

3. ImaginaryNumber

I'll not argue with you about whether God is in control or not, but there doesn't seem to be a very good correlation between the sun's output (pretty constant) and temperatures on Earth (significant swings in temperature).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Solar activity and climate - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_activity_and_climate

[​IMG]
    Sun - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun

[​IMG]
    Geologic temperature record - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geologic_temperature_record

4. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

"Mars is emerging from an ice age, a finding that could shed light on the past and future climates of both Mars and Earth, researchers said."
    Red Planet Heats Up: Ice Age Ending on Mars | Space https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.space.com/amp/33001-mars-ice-age-ending-now.html
    No industrialization, no life, no ocean's or even much in the way of surface volcanic activity, and yet, Mars is warming up and losing its polar ice caps. This is terrible news. I hate to think of the horrible implications. Look what happened when HG Wells thought about it.

-Will (Dragonfly)

5. hoytedow

When you meet Him, ask Him.

6. ImaginaryNumber

I did ask God. He told me I was wasting His time. He told me that I should instead be asking those who are using their God-given talents to figure out the answer themselves. God also told me that the opinions of those who ignore data isn't worth much. Sad :(

7. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I can imagine the prince of lies putting that into your head. Don't confuse satan with God.

8. Will Gilmore

To put IN's graphs into a context,
    upload_2020-12-21_16-27-12.png
    Climate Change: Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide | NOAA Climate.gov https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-atmospheric-carbon-dioxide
    "Global atmospheric carbon dioxide was 409.8 ± 0.1 ppm in 2019, a new record high. That is an increase of 2.5 ± 0.1 ppm from 2018, the same as the increase between 2017 and 2018. In the 1960s, the global growth rate of atmospheric carbon dioxide was roughly 0.6 ± 0.1 ppm per year. Between 2009-18, however, the growth rate has been 2.3 ppm per year. The annual rate of increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide over the past 60 years is about 100 times faster than previous natural increases, such as those that occurred at the end of the last ice age 11,000-17,000 years ago.

Squeeze or stretch the graph in either direction by holding the Shift key while you click and drag. The bright red line (source data) shows monthly average carbon dioxide at NOAA's Mauna Loa Observatory on Hawai'i in parts per million (ppm): the number of carbon dioxide molecules per million molecules of dry air. Over the course of the year, values are higher in Northern Hemisphere winter and lower in summer. The dark red line shows the annual trend, calculated as a 12-month rolling average."

Sorry, the graph wouldn't copy in. However, it shows a steady increase in CO2 since 1970. It doesn't go back further.

-Will (Dragonfly)

9. hoytedow

10. Yobarnacle

That high spike of CO2 is not matched with a high spike of temperature when you look at charts of temperatures over that same time span

11. Will Gilmore

upload_2020-12-21_18-2-5.png

-Will (Dragonfly)

12. Yobarnacle

[​IMG]

Where is the high temperature spike in current time coresponding to that high CO2c spike/ The high CO2 spike is a misrepresentation making a few parts per million seem huge.
    The temperatures are level with seasonal variation. A hotter year by a tenth of a degree plus or minus a few tenths of degree accuracy isn't a warmer year.

13. ImaginaryNumber

There is no misrepresentation. The units for each graph are clearly shown.

[​IMG]

I agree that an increase of a tenth of a degree on your backyard thermometer does not constitute a warmer year. However, an increase of a tenth of a degree for everyone's thermometer over the whole world is most definitely a warmer year. And if that increase is consistent year after year, and decade after decade, then soon it's "Houston, we have a problem!"

14. Yobarnacle

I could draw a graph with an exploded scale that shows some minute quantity represented as ten feet tall. In effect that's what your graphs do. Why? You are trying to sell something through exaggerated hype by exaggerating a graph.
    If the data is really so alarming, you wouldn't need graphs of a few parts per million that look like spikes.

As far as a tenth of a degree rise in the entire planets average anual temperature, that is like arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Can't be proved yay or nay, so you think you can get away with any wild bald claims.

You only convince those already seduced to be convinced. Your opponents simply lose all respect for you and you spuriousr tactics.

15. hoytedow

No one really gives a shag about climate whilst the dictators steal freedom and prevent people from feeding their families.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.