Is the ocean broken?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Because they are tropical cyclones by definition. That's like asking why don't polar vortices form in the tropics.

2. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Some Like It Hot: Global Warming Triggered the Evolution of Giant Dinosaurs
    • For the first 50 million years of the dinosaur era all the dinosaurs had rather slender teeth, indicating they fed on soft and lush vegetation
    • Suddenly all those slender-toothed dinosaurs disappeared, and only one lineage survived and thrived — the sauropods, which are the giant dinosaurs
    • The data indicates that there was a relative rapid change in climate about 180 million years ago, from a temperate warm and humid climate, in which a diverse, lush vegetation flourished, to a strongly seasonal, very hot and dry climate, characterized by tougher flora such as conifers
    • These environmental changes were caused by a greenhouse effect due to climate gasses such as CO2 and methane caused by increased volcanism
    • The sauropods were the only dinosaurs with a much more robust dentition, well-adapted for such tough vegetation, and thus they flourished
    • Large digestion chambers are needed to cope with such food, thus there was a general tendency for these animals to become ever larger
    The findings were published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B

3. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

A master mariner of ships upon oceans and other waters I am indeed. Wise is something I continually strive to be, always caeful and planning for contingencies. Hurricanes form as tropical storms in the tropics because of Coriolis effect greatest near equater. and because hot air rises and creates funnel vortex.updrafts and low pressures.They ussually don't become hurricanes until they move north a goodly distance. Cold heavy air is normally associate with high pressure fronts. The north gets straight-line windstorms in excess of hurricane velocities when jet-streams drop down and run along the surface for unknown unpredictable causes. I prefer hurricanes with notice they'e coming and how fast.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  4. ImaginaryNumber

Incomplete. Try again.

Why in the tropics and not in the arctic?

5. hoytedow

6. Yobarnacle

If I told you all I know about weather systems, it would fill several text books. I gave you the condensed explanation. Four years of college in a maritime academy earning a bachelors degree in naval science will qualify you to take the exam for third mate. Captains are tested far more rigorously.for a masters license, after passing tough second and first mate exams along the career path. I was examined thirteen times for thirteen various licenses during my fifty year career. Ist class Pilot over various waters including all the great lakes and the Welland canal, and the St Lawrence. and all the connecting rivers, plus parts of the lower Mississippi river and the Houston ship canal. Other ports pilotage too., Master of towing in various waters, inland, western rivers, great lakes, and oceans. Each had different rules of the road in my early career. Towing requires special licenses because you are handling multiple vessels simultaneously.. And my Oceans licenses. Licenses were not scissored out of cereal box backs.

7. ImaginaryNumber

I didn't ask you about your impressive maritime resume. I asked you why hurricanes form in the tropics and not in the arctic? And why, if they move to higher latitudes, do they diminish in size and strength?

8. Yobarnacle

I told you why. If they formed in the arctic, where would they go, to the pole? Coriolis effect sends them north. Or south in the southern hemisphere.They do get fierce storms in high latitudes. Ever been around cape Horn? The wind blows around the world unobstructed at the horn.

9. ImaginaryNumber

Yes, they get do get fierce storms at high latitudes. No question about that. But they are not the circular storms we know as hurricanes/cyclones/typhoons. And although you gave an answer, it was incomplete. Certainly not one worthy of a master mariner.

10. Yobarnacle

Who are you to judge me, landlubber. And the horse you rode in on too! Careful you stay in the navigable semi-circle and avoid the dangerous half.

Obviously you didn't like my blowing your AGW big seas out of the water and you're feeling churlish. Be more careful in the future with posting ridiculous articles.

11. ImaginaryNumber

Your posts judge you. I'm only a member of the peanut gallery.

12. Yobarnacle

Hoyt's pitbull is named Peanut. You might want to sit in a different gallery to be safe. Peanut is particular.

Hurricanes diminish when they encounter land. They have reached as far as Nova Scotia before diminishing. Jose did, wasn't it a few decades back? I recall staring at the same spot on the beach for three days. At full power, we could only hold position in the hurricane wind and gulf stream current. I had a dredge on tow that presented a lot of sail area to the wind. Seaman go out in storms, sometimes caught out, sometimes forced out of port by port officials.. We have water tight doors designed for heavy weather.. In port there is danger of collision with stuff broken free and adrift.

13. hoytedow

Peanut has standards. He may lay about the house but he never lies about the weather. He doesn't allow "progressives" in his gallery or on his boat.

14. ImaginaryNumber

I'll keep your good advice in mind should my travels take me to the Tampa region.
    Why do hurricanes diminish when they encounter land?

And why do hurricanes diminish when the reach higher latitudes?

15. Yobarnacle

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.