Is the ocean broken?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I agree concern over the climate is a big driver of failing government, and appetite for power. Our Merchant Marine was foolishly allowed to decline to almost nothing. That's a broken Ocean topic
    Do I think the political tensions are going to diminish or boil over? I'm hoping our nation survives. Would that even be a concern if a precipice isn't yawning near?

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Calling us xenophobes is a slander. We are both descended from who were once aliens. We both have friends and relatives from other cultures and we come in all colors.
    Now, you take it back.
    Then, kosi wahala.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  3. hoytedow

It is better you remain silent and thought a fool than you make foolish remarks and prove it.

4. rangebowdrie

rangebowdrie Senior Member

I don't want to derail, but reading that gave me a good laugh, and brought to mind a quote from Winston Churchill, that he said early on in his career,, long before WWII.
    "Giving women the vote is but the thin end of the wedge":):D

5. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

I would venture to guess that nowhere in your birth certificate does it say you are smart. Therefore, according to your logic above, you must not be smart. ;)

You got it right on your second guess. Maybe that makes you half smart. <laugh>

XINO is a portmanteau of the Greek letter chi or X, and RINO.

6. ImaginaryNumber

Miami Says It Can Adapt to Rising Seas. Not Everyone Is Convinced.
    • Climate models predict two feet or more of sea-level rise in Miami by 2060
    • Officials in Miami-Dade County have released guidelines for managing it
    • It includes elevating homes and roads, more dense construction farther inland and creating more open space for flooding in low-lying areas
    • Critics say the plan downplays the magnitude of the threat by failing to warn residents and developers about the risk of continuing to build near the coast
    • In the Florida Keys officials recently said it wasn’t economically feasible to protect every home from sea-level rise because the small population didn’t provide enough revenue in taxes to pay for the projects
    • By 2040, more than $3 billion worth of property could be lost to daily tidal flooding without action to reduce the threat
    • What happens in Miami will very likely become a case study for other cities and counties facing climate challenges
    [​IMG]
    A flooded street during high tide in Miami Beach in 2015.Credit...Lynne Sladky/Associated Press

7. ImaginaryNumber

Hey, Mr. Dragonfly,
    You'd better order your Dr. Seuss books quick. They're going fast!

Dr. Seuss books shoot to the top of Amazon’s bestseller list
    Books by Dr. Seuss have flooded Amazon’s U.S. bestseller list after it was announced that six of the author’s publications were being pulled over racist imagery....

This comes after Dr. Seuss Enterprises, the business running the late author’s estate, said Tuesday it made the decision last year to cease publication and licensing of six of his books: And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street,” “If I Ran the Zoo,” “McElligot’s Pool,” “On Beyond Zebra!,” “Scrambled Eggs Super!” and “The Cat’s Quizzer.”

“These books portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong,” Dr. Seuss Enterprises said in the statement, with some of the author’s books having faced criticism in recent years over racist imagery....​

8. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

The flooding is actually from storm water. The fact that it was high tide means the streets don't drain quickly. If I lived in Miami, I'd be concerned too, because Florida might actually sink while a few inches of sea level rise slow down the drain system.

-Will (Dragonfly)
    upload_2021-3-5_17-3-10.png

9. hoytedow

The house I live in was flooded back during the no-name storm in the early 90s. That was weather not climate. We are coming up on 28 anniversary of that one.

10. ImaginaryNumber

Are you sure there was a storm involved? The Miami area gets "clear day flooding" during King Tides.

King tide sets stage for climate talks in South Florida
    September 28, 2015

As if on cue, a king tide powered by a supermoon flooded parts of South Florida Sunday and Monday, setting a soggy stage for international forums aimed at drawing attention to the perils of climate change.....“Miami has an enormous amount at risk,” Gore said as he showed pictures of sunny-day flooding in South Florida during a 2013 king tide. “I just wonder how the governor watches this and says, ‘I don’t notice anything. Do you notice anything?’ Not to make an ad hominem comment, but I’m genuinely curious.”

The seasonal high tides, which scientists say have been inching up with rising sea levels, put Indian Creek Drive underwater for part of the day. Flooding was also reported in Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood and farther north in the Hillsboro and Deerfield Beach areas, said Jennifer Jurado, director of Broward County’s division of Environmental Planning and Community Resilience.

Around Miami Beach in areas where new pumps kicked on as part of a $200 million plan to keep the city dry, no flooding occurred, the city reported. The city has touted its approach as a model for other coastal communities that will inevitably be dealing with increased flooding.....​

11. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

I'm not positive, but there was a storm during high tide in 2015 that flooded streets.

How long has King Tide flooding been happening? Is that really a recent event? The photos from the 1970s don't show much difference in water levels. Of course, inches are not easy to see at such perspectives.

-Will (Dragonfly)

12. ImaginaryNumber

Fish Farming Is Feeding the Globe. What’s the Cost for Locals?
    • China's Belt and Road Initiative has become the largest foreign financier of road, pipeline, power-plant, and port projects
    • Many coastal factories have been built to meet exploding global demand for fish meal
    • Hundreds of legal and illegal foreign fishing boats are decimating the region’s fish stocks and jeopardizing local livelihoods
    • More than eighty per cent of the world’s wild fish stocks have collapsed or are unable to withstand more fishing
    • Fish that once were so plentiful they were sometimes given away for free. are now more expensive than locals can afford
    • Fish plants are dumping waste into the sea, killing fish, eels, rays, turtles, dolphins, and even whales
    • “The Chinese are exporting our bonga fish to feed it to their tilapia fish, which they’re shipping back here to Gambia to sell to us, more expensively—but only after it’s been pumped full of hormones and antibiotics”
    • Aquaculture has emerged as an alternative—a shift from capture to culture
    • About a quarter of all fish caught globally at sea end up as fish meal to feed cultured fish
    • Potential alternative food sources include seaweed, cassava waste, soldier-fly larvae, single-cell proteins produced by fungi and bacteria, and even human sewage
    • When millions of fish are crowded together they generate a lot of waste, creating a thick slime on the seafloor

13. ImaginaryNumber

Global warming poses threat to food chains
    • Phytoplankton and zooplankton are the foundation of food webs that support freshwater and marine ecosystems that humans depend on
    • About 10% of energy produced on one level of a food web makes it up to the next level
    • Warmer conditions increase the metabolic cost of growth, leading to less efficient energy flow through the food chain
    • A 4°C of warming reduced energy transfer in the plankton food webs by up to 56%
    The research was published in the journal Nature

14. hoytedow

Warming schmarming. Not happening.

15. hoytedow

Ever see a whale turd? Seriously. Go look.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.