is it strong enough

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mkpardy, Feb 17, 2007.

1. mkpardy

mkpardy Junior Member

Hi guys
    It is my intent to build the glen l 15' 9" console skiff with raised bulwarks.
    I intend on building it to their specs, I'm also a diver and do alot of diving
    my question is, would I be able to continously pull myself in over the side of the boat without damaging (structurally) the boat.
    It is a stitch and glue boat with taped junctions and a layer of 7.5oz cloth
    on the interior as well as the exterior using epoxy resin.
    do you guys think this boat is just for pleasure riding or do you think it will
    suit as a dive boat as well as it will be the perfect size for diving in some
    areas i like to dive.Once again guys thanks in advance and any input will be greatly appreciated
    check out the boat CONSOLE SKIFF by Matt Marzullo, on the GLEN-L site
    under customer photos and tell me what your opinions are THANKS

web site is glen-l.com

2. sal's Dad

sal's Dad Atkin/Bolger fan

Nice looking boat - and Matt built a real "gold-plater".

Sounds like you want a workboat - probably workboat finish, definitely workboat strength. And the scantlings specified on the Glen-L site look a bit light - mostly 3/8 ply - for hard North Atlantic use.

Do you beat on your boat? Shore landings? Drop your gear on the deck? Pound through chop? Cold weather use?

How do you "pull yourself over the side" now? I would assume you will need to modify it with a permanent rugged ladder, hand holds, and maybe a cut-down section of the gunwale. Matt's boat has massive rails, should be plenty strong - are those to plan, or his modification?

I have a Bolger Diablo, similar size different bottom, and find the flat-bottom double chine shape does well for climbing in - the boat heels right over to put the gunwale near the water, but no further.

Sal's Dad

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.